My son walked in on me undressing.

I think this is a subject that most moms have had to deal with at some point.

I had just got out of the shower and was drying myself when my eldest son(10) came charging into my room and saw me naked. He was really upset and kept saying he was sorry. Not wanting to make a big deal out of it i casually grabbed my towl and covered myself up and just sort of said dont worry you've seen it all before and that i should of locked the door. Since this things have been very arkward around the house. To be honest it wasn't a big deal to me these things happen and he's seen me naked plenty of times before when he was younger.

Has this happened to you? How did you deal with the situation?

Sam.w

Asked by Sam.w at 5:28 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think you handled it pretty well not making any big deal about it. He probably would be more embarrassed if you had made a reaction.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 5:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I think the awkardness might be an indication that son beginning puberty (if not physically at least emotionally). Perhaps its time to answer some questions for him. GL.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 5:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My family would laugh it off (you saw my big white heiny! Heiny looker!) along with a reminder to knock to prevent future heiny gazes and leave it at that.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 5:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I laugh and say that is what you get for not knocking. Now you'll have nightmares for life....lol.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 5:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• You might have to sit down with him and tell him it wasn't a big deal to you and that the human body is natural etc. Tell him you aren't upset with him and he shouldn't be upset with himself. Maybe ask him if he was any questions he wants to ask?
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 5:37 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• well, my mom had no care of nakedness. Even when my brother was a teen she'd be walking around in just her undies with no bra on. We never had AC growing up, so she was happily naked during the summer. No one ever cared, we were used to it, it didn't even phase us. The only time it bothered us is when friends came over, it was like she didn't even realize she was naked...lol. She's an old hippie lady, maybe too free spirited....lol. I think you did well though, no need to make a big deal about it. LOL @ babyfat5!

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:40 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• aww Momma you did fine. he is at an age where some awkwardness after something lie this is normal . he will get over it and get past it. i would do as other moms suggested. reinforce to him ou are not upset.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 5:40 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• BTW I think you handled the original situation perfectly . I just think that if he is akward when he wasn't before it just indicates that things have changed it might be time for the talk.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 5:45 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Yeah, it's happened. You did pretty much what I did. Several hours later he was still acting embarrassed about it. I walked up to him and hip bumped him and said something like 'okay pouty...you forgot to knock and saw something you didn't want to see. no biggie, get over it and remember to knock" He lightened up after that.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:48 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My son is almost 9 and does that all the time.  My door doesn't lock and I've taken to changing right in front of it because all the kids (even the girls) seem to have this 6th sense about when I'm changing and that's the moment they come right on in.

I usually yell at them to get out but I do that even when I'm not changing because I'm tired of them thinking they can just come in whenever they want without knocking.  My son usually squeaks then covers his face and backs out of the room as fast as he can while apologizing.  My response is alway, "that's why you knock!"  Sigh.  hopefully our new house will have a lock on the master bedroom door.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:14 PM on Jul. 8, 2010