Intact 3 year old question

My 3 year old is intact and recently became retractable. However, there is a small spot on the head of his penis that is still holding onto the foreskin. I'm educated on intact care. I have never forcefully retracted it(or let anyone else like silly doctors), he did it himself, I wash it like a finger, etc. but I have never read anything about little bits of the foreskin holding on that way. Can anyone who knows about intact care give some advice? His doctor said that when he washes it I should gently, while not even really applying pressure wipe it. I'm not sure if I agree with her. She's intact friendly but I can't get around my don't mess with the retracting penis rule.

I don't want anyone saying, that's why you should have circ'd or it's cleaner, or any other pro-cric non-sense. Thanks.

Pauline3283

Asked by Pauline3283 at 5:31 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Kids' Health

• some foreskins dont fully come loose till a boy is in his preteen or teen years. if that bit is not causing him pain of any kind, i would say leave it alone. wait and see. most boys break those small bits like that themselves in errr future exploration shall we say. my son is 7 and has some adhesions still. but as time is going by he is loosening and breaking the adhesions himself. no issues.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 5:34 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Well that is why you should have circ'd! It is cleaner! Pro circ non-sense. No really I have no clue but I'm going to bump it for you and hopefully somebody will have an answer for you.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 5:34 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My son is 6.5 and is intact and not retractable yet. I would follow the rule and leave it alone, it should eventually let go, I would rather leave it alone than pull it and cause harm.

I would just make sure to rinse very well :)

Good for you and your healthy perfectly normal son :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:35 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I would leave it alone. My friend's son has a intact penis and she just taught him to pull it back and clean it around 5 years old. Good luck.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:35 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My youngest had the same problem. We found that just a little pressure during washing seemed to do the trick. His pedi sent us to urology. Urology was concerned that he was at a growing point and if it didn't released it could become painfull for him. We used the pressure and it worked.

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:36 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I would assume it will gradually release (i do believe there are a few cases were it has had to be surgically done later if it doesn't release) but I would give it more time to see if it releases naturally- I don't have any little boys but DH and I have been debating circumcision if we ever do he would want to and I don't think I would want my little boy to go through that - maybe it's a mommy thing. If the time ever comes I hope I win!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 5:37 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• PS>.before anyone starts jumping my butt..NO we did not cause pain or damage.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:39 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• hotrodmomma: do your research and be prepared to talk to dh about it should the time come. Its more than just not wanting them to be in pain, there are plenty of other reasons too :) Also one of the most important things to know, is that you DO NOT forcefully retract, even though many Drs make the mistake of telling parents they must. This is one of the major problems and why so many intact boys have issues. :) Just wanted to let ya know :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:40 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I have no knowledge of anything not circumcised and I plan to keep it that way. Thanks!

Anonymous

• I just wanted to say good luck to hotrodmama! I finally won that debate with DH and if this baby is a boy we won't be circumsizing! I basically told him that I did the research and that I was putting my foot down on this one and it wasn't happening lol.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 6:37 PM on Jul. 8, 2010