When you had your newborn baby...

Did you want to breastfeed...but just couldnt because your nipples were "too short"???? I tried to and baby just couldnt catch onto it. I even had to use the suction on nipple extension cup thing...It was so sad. So I was wondering if anyone else had this problem and if so, did it ever get better with each kid or is a short nipple always a short nipple?? LOL.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:47 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I did. My son would not latch. I used those plastic breast things that are supposed to help. They didnt. I pumped and fed him with a medicine cup while rtrying to breast feed. I tried for 3 days straight with the help of nurses and a lactation consultant. He just wouldnt do it. So, i pumped. He was on solely breastmilk until he was 7 weeks and then my body shut off the milk taps. Im glad he got 7 weeks tho. I plan to try again if i have another :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 5:53 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• nipple length is not something i have ever heard of of an issue with breastfeeding. since to begin with they have never been sucked on and it takes time for both momma and baby to learn the proper techniques and comfort levels for eachother. i had practically flat nipples and the breast feeding assistant at the hospital helped me and my son learn positions that helped him latch. sorry you had issues momma! it happens. breastfeeding is not as NATURAL to happen magically right as many moms would think
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 5:55 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• interesting question, i heard of moms with inverted nipples still being able to BF though. maybe talk to your talk and get help form one of those lactation specialists
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 7:18 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Yes, I was inverted. I used those suction cups for about a week before my first kid figured out how to latch on. I always let her try on just me before putting the suctions on...so don't forget that, to keep letting them try for a little bit first.

Anyway, nursing my first kid pretty much cured the inverted thing as my second only needed the section cup for two feedings.

Another thing to try is to pump for a minute, then try immediately breast feeding after that. Those pumps really help to pull things out to make it easy for baby to latch.

good luck
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 9:26 PM on Jul. 8, 2010