• In the Spotlight:

How common are UTIs when you are pregnant?

LiLJeni

Asked by LiLJeni at 5:47 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Very common actually. A lot of things occur during pregnancy.. and your unborn child can put a strain on your entire body. I have UTI's during my whole pregnancies unfortunately.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 5:51 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I'm not sure. I've never had one in my life. I have heard of pregnant women getting them a lot though.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 5:48 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• With my second pregnancy I had one so bad I had to be hospitalized. I thought it was the flu. In a matter of hours I got really sick and a high temperature and my body was aching so bad. I high tailed it to the Doctor where they did the flu test and it was not the flu. Turned out to be a UTI. I was hospitalized for 3 days.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 5:50 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• i had none sorry OP
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 5:53 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Well I have my first one in my whole life so I was just wondering thank you guys
    LiLJeni

Comment by LiLJeni (original poster) at 5:54 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I had them with both of my pregnancies. It doesn't have to turn horrific if you get treated (antibiotics) at the first signs of one. I got mine because I had horrible morning sickness and got dehydrated so my keotone level started going up and my kidneys weren't getting flushed then pH gets imbalanced and then there ya go... Also cranberry juice or supplements (ask Dr. about supp. if preg) are great to help with UT health!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 5:55 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• and I forgot to tell you yogurt is a good preventative too! :-) (I have had UTI's since I was 7 so it's normal for me now but hurts horribly bad still!!!!!) GL Momma!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 5:56 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I get them constantly during pregnancy.. I get them from swimming, being in a car to long.. not drinking enough water!! i had over 15 in my last pregnancy!!
    aubreyluv

Answer by aubreyluv at 6:57 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I've been pregnant 6 times and have never had one.  Never had one when I wasn't pregnant either.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:18 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• i had them with my first and just had to take antibiotics, with my second i had to be put in the hospital, i felt like the flu combined with a stomach bug. it was horrible.
    mrsaustin271

Answer by mrsaustin271 at 10:28 AM on Jul. 9, 2010