When you had your second child

How did your first one react to the new baby??

LiLJeni

Asked by LiLJeni at 5:50 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• My first was almost 14 months. He was interested in him. The only issues we had was with the bottle. needless to say the older still takes a bottle at nap and bed. If he throws an absolute fit when the other has a bottle he has one with water in it. You just can't win every battle. But he did start to do things for attention. Especially when his brother was learning to sit. When the baby would fall over and cry, my son quickly caught on...he would walk to the entertainment center, lightly bump his head and start to fake cry to get that same attention and loving. He still does it. It's hysterical. They interact and play together now. My oldest always asks if his brother is sleeping when he wakes up.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 6:06 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My son was almost 2. We had started to discuss him having a little sister. He was pretty good during delivery. We actually got permission for him to be in the labor and delivery room with us, and he was an enormous amount of him to me.. He made me feel a lot better, lol.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 5:53 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• He was 3 and loved him and still does.
    sweetmom1007

Answer by sweetmom1007 at 5:50 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My son was excited to be "getting a brother." He was 2 and we never experienced any negative issues with him. Unfortunately, his brother was stillborn.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 5:51 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Our oldest was three when baby came. He became very agressive and misbehaved a lot. We started getting a sitter for a few hours and took him to McDonald's etc because "he was three and babies cannot do this". Problem ended. ;)
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:55 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• She was only 15 months and took it in stride.  He was a great plaything, lol.  They are 10 and almost 9 now and still good friends.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:12 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My 3 yo loves her baby brother. He's 2 months old now, and she is a great help with him. She is always telling me how proud she is and how much she loves him.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 10:14 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• my son was 3 when his baby sister was born. they are 4 and almost 1 no and are great friends but they do have some sibling rivalry as will all siblings... but they love each other very much. ds has always been a great help.
    mommy06and09

Answer by mommy06and09 at 10:50 PM on Jul. 10, 2010