To the Christians that don't cut their hair,wear the long skirts,etc....

Does your religion believe that men are THAT weak that seeing woman flesh is going to set them off to crazyville or something? Wouldn't finding a happy medium as far as modesty make more sense? I saw on 19 kids and counting that they didn't want the young guys to get distracted by the female form before marriage. I think that everything in moderation,including seeing skin,makes more sense that covering up the girls from head to toe. Why not just teach the guys discretion?

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 5:50 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• My husband and I believe the same way you do. His family will not go to the beach during the summer cause they MIGHT see skin.
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 6:06 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I would say, to each his own.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:53 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• As a hair stylist I don't understand the clients that would come in that didn't believe in cutting their hair, yet permed and highlighted it. *shrugs*
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 5:54 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• i would agree with m-avi..and add, what difference does it make why they wear their hair long, dress modestly? i'm sure they do teach the males 'discretion' (as you called it). i'm sure they attempt to teach them respect for the females, too (don't we all?), in ways that don't have anything to do with what's underneath the clothing or hair. if those who practice this aren't hurting you or breaking laws, look elsewhere for entertainment.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:01 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• because adam accepted the apple eve offered him.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 5:52 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Women have to suffer and be punished because men are pigs and can't control their sexual thoughts. Yeah... really seems fair.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 6:41 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Eh, to each their own.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:04 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I think it is a much better outlook than society today that you couldn't make a mitten out of the fabric on their whole bodies! I think a lot of society parents and children dress far to trashy and risky (not everyone so if your not no I'm not saying you) anyhow my dad threw a fit if I even wanted to wear a tank top (with spaghetti straps) in HS. I am a mom of 2 girls now and DH and I do let them wear shorts and spaghetti strap tanks but they typically wear a normal t-shirt and they love wearing their dresses even at home but we usually save those for church. Anyhow They are teaching their boys as well but that is no reason for the girls to dress slutty and I think that this is just the easiest way of doing that for them. (just a side note- I believe the Duggars are with a Conservative Christian movement called Quiverfull anyhow we are Baptist/Pentecostal and this is my outlook on this topic)
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 6:15 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• It is a sacrafice women make that seems to the extreme. I don't think God would require any thing beyond just being modest. A woman does practice self control no matter what she wears and christain men must use self control. So I find teaching modesty and self control in christainity better than to in a sense punish or opress women's rights to have self esteem.
    whistlemom3

Answer by whistlemom3 at 7:01 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I'm not looking for entertainment as it was stated. I seriously want to know about this practice,sheesh! I'm interested in the clothing practices of ALOT of different religions.Theres a wide gulch betwen dresing slutty and covering yourself from head to toe. For the record,I don't dress slutty by any means,and I don't condone it. I just am confused by what I see as suppression of a woman's right to individuality under the guise of religion.

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 6:23 PM on Jul. 8, 2010