What do you think?

I talk to a guy on a daily basis. Via text and he calls sometimes. In in a few casual conversations, he's mentioned that all females lie/cheat in some form. Whether this is actually a fact, the point being, he doesn't trust females. We don't really have in-depth conversation but he texts me every morning, sometimes he calls my a pet name, but why would he do this? I'm trying not to over-analyze but I like him but I get the vibe its not a big deal. Maybe he's just scared. I don't know.

careph

Asked by careph at 6:18 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Relationships

• It sounds like he's been burned in the past and he might be in a period of feeling jaded and pessimistic. If you like him, maybe in time you can turn him around. I'd just be wary that his state of distrust may be permanent.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 6:21 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I don't know what to say/do.....
    careph

Comment by careph (original poster) at 6:23 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• You cannot make him change. If he decides to get over the crummy women he's been with than great!! You should tell him that it bugs you that he cant trust women, but he likes to talk to you. Sounds like you need to be honest with him, and expect him to be honest with you. Honesty can hurt however.
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 6:27 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Maybe next time he makes a comment about all women being liars and cheaters, point out that that's a pretty big generalization and that the actions of a few shouldn't punish the rest.
    Men lie and cheat too. Not all of them, but some of them. It would be unfair to judge all men based on the behavior of a few.

Sexist generalizations are no better than racial ones.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 6:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• It sounds like his hang-up and you probably can't do anything about it. I guess if you keep on talking to him he'll learn who you are and maybe see you're not like that.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 10:37 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I think time is the only thing that will cure this. And prove him wrong. Not all of us cheat and lie, always be truthful with him and he will see that the women in his past were just bad seeds.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 9:44 PM on Jul. 9, 2010