Help! My child is 13 and knows everything!

I've noticed over the last few months that almost ANY conversation I try to have with my 13 year old DD turns into a disagreement. A good example was last night on the way home from church we were discussing a youth trip she left on this morning. Our preacher is taking a group of 15 teens to the creation museum and an amusement park today and tomorrow. I told her to really be on her best behavior and how nice it was of our preacher and his wife to take them on this trip. It's a really big responsibility to look after so many on an out of town trip. She responded by telling me that it wasn't that big of a deal for him to take them. After all, most of of the kids going are of driving age. What? I attempted to explain how it was still a huge responsibility and she continued making up reasons it wasn't.

She is overall a really good kid. I just don't understand why all of the sudden she seems to think I'm stupid. Ideas?

wahmoftwo

Asked by wahmoftwo at 6:20 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Oh, she'll grow out of. After college. I'm not kidding. You just have to figure out if it's worth arguing, or nodding and saying "Uh-huh, sweetie. Whatever you say. You know best." Drives them crazy!!
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 6:22 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Aaaah the teenage years, dont worry when she turns 21 somehow you will be a scholar again. Maybe trying to explain how big of a responibilty it is for the pastor was to deep. Maybe you needed to say that its her responibility to behave so she can keep going on trips......... : ) Good luck, your going to need it AND the full armor of God until she graduates.
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 6:23 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• It's called hormones. They don't grow out of it until their mid to late 20. I was the same way I thought my Mother was an idiot...funny the older I got how much smarter she became. When mine were like that..I gave them their "eyerolling" right back and said yeah, okay..lol
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:25 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Oh, welcome to PUBERTY and the TEENAGE years!! Nothing that isn't normal.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:26 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Because she is 13!! She will think you are smart again when she is older. You will go in and out of "smartness' as she matures. Sometimes you should say to her "You need to listen right now." Ask her if she heard what you said and ignore any other response. Pick your battles. Best wishes.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:26 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• She is just beginning to express her independent thinking. It's not that she thinks you are stupid--it's that she has been enlightened and needs to share. As long as she remembers that you are the mom, and she is the child, all will be well.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:33 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• She is suffering from a bad case of teenitis, it will cure itself eventually, patience......................

Answer by older at 7:34 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• i have 3 teenagers right now and they are all like that. It's a phase
    nyraerikson

Answer by nyraerikson at 8:34 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• You mean they don't?

I don't fight the fight. If it is something that isn't of great importance i just move on. They do outgrow it though.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 10:13 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Wow because teens do know everything of course hahahahahah. Totally typical and like others have said it is amazing how smart you will suddenly be in a few years.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 11:39 PM on Jul. 8, 2010