why is it that coffee tastes better at churches , restaurants,PTA meetings...........and not the ones we buy from the stores is it the ground coffee or the coffee maker can someone explain these and tell me what coffee or maker to buy suggestions needed ladies

coffee

1LovelyAngel

Asked by 1LovelyAngel at 6:23 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Food & Drink

• There is something called a coffee urn which makes large batches of coffee. That's what are used at churches. And yes, from my experience the taste is really good.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 8:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• You should clean your coffee maker about once a month if you use it daily. Distilled white vinegar is as effective as anything. Your water may have everything to do with it. You also my be using too much or not enough coffee. My husband will only drink coffee at home if it is made with the bottled water. Brands vary widely. Folgers may be fine for some..others need gourmet.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• it has nothing to do with any of that it has to do with the brand of coffee you buy. Take it from someone who worked at a fancy cafe forever. The cheap coffee you buy, even if it's whole bean is always going to be stale. Coffee beans start getting stale the second they hit the air. If you want good coffee, go to your local mom & pop coffee shop, or go to starbucks & buy their coffee beans, never buy pre-ground coffee...that is a no-no if you want decent coffee. Coffee beans stay fresh much longer than ground coffee will. We grind our coffee fresh every morning & use non bleached coffee filters.

Shit like maxwell house & folgers is literally grade "F" coffee, it even has sticks & stems ground up in it, not kidding. I am a coffee snob & wont drink it, i'll walk to the nearest starbucks & get a latte before i drink that crap. Buy a coffee grinder & fresh decent coffee beans & you should be all set for good tasting coffee.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:32 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Also, i have very chlorinated water here in Atlanta. If you put the water in the coffee pot the night before, the chlorine evaporates & leaves the water much better tasting.

1 tbsp coffee per 6 oz is good. & don't round that tbsp, it should be exactly 1 tblsp per 6 oz.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:35 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Try grinding your own. Fresh ground store brand tastes better than pre-ground name brand. Most restaurant,etc coffee is individually vacuum packed so it doesn't go stale.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:58 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I usually like my coffee at home just as well. I do frequent Starbucks though. I have often wondered what coffee TGI Friday's serves...it's very good.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 6:24 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Water vs. Coffee ratio, play with it and see the change. At my work we use a shotglass full for 12 cups of water.
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 6:24 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Most places that make mass quantities of coffee use pre-measured pouches that "follow the directions". The can/ bag of coffee clearly states 1 Tablespoon of grounds per cup. A cup of coffee is considered 6 ounces, not the 8 ounce cup measurement. I will not drink my coffee any other way, so we have to use less water to not overflow the basket as it's brewing.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 6:28 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I think it is the brand and the water vs coffee ratio. I use 1 tablespoon full of coffee per 6 oz of water. I mean the measuring spoon not the one you eat with. I prefer the eight o'clock brand more so than others.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:28 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I like my coffee at home better, sorry. Maybe you are not using the right water to grounds measurements, or the filter, or your water.
    Lullababy

Answer by Lullababy at 6:32 PM on Jul. 8, 2010