Think of pulling my hair out....

As some of you already know my 4 month old has been colicy and teething and on special formula due to a milk protien intolerence. So I have gotten used to the constant crying. However the last few days it has gotten so much worse his appetite has decreased and I cant get him to take more than a 20 minute nap. Anyone go through this or have any ideas what I can do? I never went through this with my 5 year old.

DBabyMomma

Asked by DBabyMomma at 6:34 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We went through it with our son, but what was diagnosed as colic actually ended-up being severe acid reflux. As soon as we started him on baby Zantac, our lives changed and he began sleeping through the night.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 6:36 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Haven't been through it, but I send you good thoughts and hope for a solution for you! Good luck, Mama, I bet you're tired.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 6:36 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I also meant to say that if you have people that will help out, you should take breaks so that you don't become so overwhelmed,
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 6:37 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• get Dr's opinion? My SIL had a colicy baby and the only position she could sleep in was on my SIL's arm......head near palm, arms and legs hanging over arm, so her tummy was resting on my SIL's arm. She carried her around like this for months!! I don't know if that will be helpful. I just happend to think of it. Good luck!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:37 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Do you have a baby sling? Strap that baby on and walk around. There's a good chance he'll calm down a bit with the closeness and the movement.
    My son was colicky as well and it was horrible. I feel your frustration.

Also keep in mind that it wont last forever. It feels like it will never end but one day it will just stop and it will be like it never even happened. I promise.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 6:39 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• We went through that with our son, but what was first thought just colicky/fussy, turned out to be acid reflux....and a pp said the same thing...I'd have it looked into. It's SO hard to take care of the little ones, when we're so stressed/frustrated/tired, and just plain exhausted!
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 6:41 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• We have had him on an acid reducer since he was 2 months old because they said it would help, but it hasnt. We just got back from a walk because he ussually likes it outside and nothing is helping today. He sleeps through the night from about 9pm to 7 am. I called the dr and they told me its because he is teething.
    DBabyMomma

Comment by DBabyMomma (original poster) at 6:45 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Try the homeopathis teething tablets, and when you need him to calm down, maybe try to give him a warm bath using the calming baby bath and lotion? Good luck! I hope it gets better! Do you have a swing?
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 6:56 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• For 15 minutes, boil a cup of waterwith 1/3 of a bay leaf. Let it cool, remove the leaf, and pour the water into a bottle and let the baby drink it.

If you are breastfeeding try eliminating cow's milk from your diet. There's a 50-50 chance it can be causing the colic.

Add 1 tablespoon of bruised caraway seeds to one cup just boiled water. Let it steep for ten minutes. Strain and put 2 teaspoons into a bottle. When cool enough to drink give it to the baby.

You can also steep a chamomile tea bag in a cup of hot water for ten minutes. Remove the tea bag and give a teaspoon every fifteen minutes until he/she seems better
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• teething tablets! they were a lifesaver for us when my son was teething.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 9:20 PM on Jul. 8, 2010