at what age is it socially unacceptable to continue breastfeeding?

cassie_m

Asked by cassie_m at 6:39 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:44 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I wouldn't be worrying about social acceptance when it comes to breastfeeding. You feeding your child has nothing to do with the world around you.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 6:40 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• For Americans or the rest of the world? Some people think women should never breastfeed. I think the child should stop when he/she are ready.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:41 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Why care about what everyone else says...nature says it is normal and natural...who cares what others think?
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 10:27 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• When you can have rational and logical conversations with them about current events and politics.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 6:41 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I have never been one to worry about social conventions. Breastfeeding should go on as long as mother and child are both comfortable with it

Answer by rkoloms at 6:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• The only parties that I have ever cared about are myself and my baby when it comes to how long to nurse. Socially acceptable goes out the window when the social norms are not necessarily what is healthy or best for mom and baby.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 7:57 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• It really depends on where you live... I know the world wide average age of weaning is like 4 years old, so obviously there are plenty of places in the world where 4 or 5 is acceptable.

I think is some parts of this county it's about 12 months, but here in Oregon it seems to be more socially acceptable longer, which I think is great, I'd say around here 2 is acceptable and most people wouldn't think much of it.

DD self-weaned at 21 months which surprised me, I wanted to go to at least 2 but she wasn't having it. I personally wouldn't want to go past 2.5 maybe 3 at the most, and that would only be like before bed, before nap, first thing in the morning, I couldn't see myself nursing a kid in public over about 18 months.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 6:47 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Once they hit puberty.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 8:28 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I breastfed one of my children until he was 6. After he was 4 we would only nurse when it was easy to do or at home. We wouldn't do it where people would be shocked. I don't think there is a problem with breastfeeding a 3 year old in public.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:19 PM on Jul. 8, 2010