My grandson can be holding his potty and you can tell he needs to go but you put him on the toilet and he will sit for a long time and not go. Is there any kind of medical problem he could have to cause this?

He says he can't make it come out. We have been trying to potty train him for quite a while but are getting no where. He tries to go out side with the other boys and nothing happens.

EAC527

Asked by EAC527 at 6:47 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When we first started potty training my son he would sit on the potty for 20 minutes and nothing would happen. As soon as we got him off and he'd get his pants up, he'd pee.
    It was frustrating.
    Eventually we managed to rush him to the potty just as he started to pee and he got most of it in there. We made a huge deal about it and then over the next few weeks we managed to catch him right before he peed a few more times.
    He started to understand what the feeling was and then started asking to go to the potty.

I don't think there's anything medically wrong with your grandson. Potty training is different for each child and it WILL happen.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 6:50 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• How old is your grandson? It sounds to me like he may be having "stage fright" and not be able to pee/poop on the potty. Also, could he be constipated?
    jamesmommy512

Answer by jamesmommy512 at 7:05 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• jamesmommy has a good point. When we were potty training my son it took a long time for him to get comfortable going, especially pooping. When we stopped standing there waiting for him to poop and went about our business nearby, he started pooping on the potty.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 10:25 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I almost thought I wrote this question, it's so much like my son! I'm going to have to remember what these ladies say, not watch him. I have noticed that the few times he's actually gone, we weren't hovering over him. Good luck, hope yours figures it out!
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 1:55 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• this sounds normal. I think you just need to give it some time!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:02 PM on Jul. 10, 2010