Just wondering...

There are many who feel their religion is just true for them, not for anyone else. For something to be true, it is by nature exclusive, not inclusive. If there is no real truth, just "true for you" then isn't that the same as everything being false?

Not trolling, truly wondering.

NikkiMomof2grls

Asked by NikkiMomof2grls at 7:11 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• That's precisely why I don't believe in one "right" religion. I believe that there is one God, and people worship him him in different ways and forms.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 7:15 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• True is a misused word. It's convenient to explain in layman's terms, but the fact is there is no such thing as truth in faith. Truth is evidence by fact, faith is belief in something in the absence of fact. When people say their religion is "true for them" they don't mean it's a fact, but only applicable to them (with some very loud and outspoken exceptions who don't give much thought to the meaning of their words). It is a fact that I have faith in my religion. It is a fact that I do not expect you to follow it. My faith and yours, whatever they may be in, are not facts. Rather than spell that out in 3 sentences, it's much easier just to say "your religion is true for YOU" or "my religion is true for ME".
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:37 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• "If a religion is correct and true, then it should stand up to any and all scrutiny and criticism. After all, the truth can not be unseated."- J.P. Warren.

Anything else is therefore your own THEORIES that you put stock and faith into, they aren't truth.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:14 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• i have studied religion. tons of religions, living religions, dead religions, popular religions, rare religions. i personally believe that they just cant be true. but i have also studied the scientific aspects and i honestly believe it was simply a chance meeting of the right particles in the right place that made humans, animals, plants, all that we know.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 7:17 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I feel at the core of most religions they they very similar so most of the differences are small things that aren't really the important truths. No one religion might be right about everything, because I believe there are just somethings we won't know until we after we die.  However while we are here we need to search for what we believe to be true and follow that, that is the best any of us can do.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:32 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I believe there is no ONE TRUE PATH, but that we each must find our OWN TRUE PATH.

That being said, Truth is totally relative. And one person's Truth doesn't necessarily cancel out another's Truth.
    i.e. If it's MY Truth that strawberry ice cream is the best...that doesn't make YOUR Truth of chocolate ice cream being the best. KWIM?
    Likewise, if I say "my brown eyes are beautiful"...that does not mean I think your blue eyes are ugly.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:43 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I haven't read the answers yet, but I completely agree with you. That's why I don't understand why people think their faith is right for them, but not for others. Or why some people think there is more than one way. I believe my faith is the only way for everyone. If it's not the only way for everyone, then it's not the only way for me.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 12:24 AM on Jul. 9, 2010