Breastfeeding percentages by state... how does you state compare??

I know I've seen other statistics, I think more recent ones, but this is all I could find just now:

http://www.statehealthfacts.org/comparebar.jsp?ind=501&cat=10

Oregon: % ever breastfed- 91.4, % still breastfed at 12 months-37.0

It's amazing that there's such a HUGE range within our country!

Compare where I live to Mississippi! % ever breastfed-48.3, % still breastfed at 12 months- 8.7

So to answer an earlier question about socially acceptability, I would guess it's not socially acceptable in Mississippi before 12 months, and socially acceptable in Oregon well after 12 months.

Blueliner

Asked by Blueliner at 7:14 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Health

• I found this website very interesting. There are lots of health statistics. I think it is interesting that my state is low in ever breastfed but high in infant mortality and childhood obesity.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 7:51 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• That is interesting! I am in colorado and it says 82.5% ever breastfeed and 30.5% are still doing it at a year.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:23 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I am in Louisiana. 49.9% ever BF, 9.9% at 12 months. LOL

I was in Arkansas when I BF my son: 61.5% ever BF and 10.6% still at 12 months.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:26 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• PENNSYLVANIA

Ever breastfed 67.6%

Breastfed at 6 months 35.8%

Breastfed at 12 months 19.4%

Exclusive breastfeeding through 3 months 29.3%

Exclusive breastfeeding through 6 months 10.1%
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:38 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Hum... is this question really that boring? Or is this section "health" just kind of dead...? LOL

Thanks to the 2 that did respond... huge range between your two states! I think it's very interesting...

The south seems to have the lowest rates by far... I wonder why that is? A cultural thing? Breastfeeding is just less accepted and promoted there?
    Blueliner

Comment by Blueliner (original poster) at 7:39 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I think there's a good chance that that correlation isn't coincidental... what about you?
    Blueliner

Comment by Blueliner (original poster) at 7:55 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Very interesting ohbaldi... I just compared Oregon and Mississippi for childhood obesity... Mississippi had the highest rate in the country at 44.4% and Oregon had the second lowest rate at 24.3%...

Infant mortality rate... Mississippi has the highest rate and Oregon is on the low end...
    Blueliner

Comment by Blueliner (original poster) at 8:02 PM on Jul. 8, 2010