US Prosecutors asking for tougher sentence for corrupt politician, what do YOU think is fair?

PHILADELPHIA — U.S. prosecutors took the rare step Thursday to appeal the sentence handed down to long-powerful state Sen. Vincent Fumo in a sprawling corruption case.

Fumo is serving a 4 1/2-year sentence for defrauding the state Senate, a museum and a nonprofit of millions.

Prosecutors had sought at least a 15-year term for the Philadelphia Democrat, who was convicted last year of all 137 fraud and obstruction counts after a five-month trial. In an appeal filed Thursday, they call Senior U.S. District Judge Ronald Buckwalter's decision "unreasonable" and "unduly lenient."

The 67-year-old Fumo was convicted last year of using the victim groups to maintain his mansion, spy on political rivals, pay for yachting vacations and otherwise support his extravagant lifestyle.

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 7:16 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Wow! I suppose the judge was on the take too! Personally, I think political corruption should carry harsher sentences than regular corruption. Our leaders should be held to a high standard imo.

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:06 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I would think a year per charge would suffice. It certainly would send a message and shake up some other nefarious actors.

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 7:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• GOOD! Maybe this will make some of them THINK before acting corruptly!

Answer by plclemo at 8:44 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• That one pissed me off, too.

Answer by lovinangels at 12:56 AM on Jul. 9, 2010