I need help what are some good tips and tricks to help my son overcome extreme shyness? He's an only child and never been away from me and now he's going to preschool.

shy, overcome

mommyofone740

Asked by mommyofone740 at 7:25 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• preschool should help him with the issue.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 7:26 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• maybe try to find playgroups in your area that you both can go to together to get him used to being around other children.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 7:27 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Playdates, library story time, playground, non-competitive preschool sports...
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 7:28 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• i would say if it continues over time (a few years) counseling can help..
    ahasugar

Answer by ahasugar at 7:35 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• there are lots of good books on that, too
    ahasugar

Answer by ahasugar at 7:36 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• PReschool will help. I know a lot of times if a child is shy the parent can be really nervous about school, but really try to keep it to yourself and not let him see it. Be supportive and act excited for him. take him to tour the school(if possible) The first day may be hard, but don't make the seperation harder by hanging around. Reasure him that you will be back and then say goodbye. Even if he cries don't come back. He will be fine---the teachers deal with this all the time. The first few weeks are always hard. Another fun idea is to make a goodbye ritual. MAybe a fun handshake, a special saying, having him wave from the window. Good luck momma!
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 8:09 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Read books about school. Talk about exactly what is going to happen. Tell the teachers what he likes to do (blocks, color, trucks, whatever and even write a note about how shy he is). Have one friend from school come over to your house. Then after a couple of playdates w/ that child, ask a different one. Pretty soon, he'll have a couple of friends who will engage him at school. Also, crazy4u has great ideas!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:41 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• You are doing great with the preschool. He will do just fine. I had a child who was really shy and he went running off to preschool when I took him.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 12:36 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• It was kind of the same way with my son, except he's been in daycare since 7 weeks. It took him awhile to really be comfortable around other kids. He still has his moments when he'd rather play alone, but he's playing with the other kids and more and that really didn't start to happen until this year (he's 3). Like the others said, the preschool will help yours with that and it probably won't even take as long as my son did.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 1:52 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• 0123456

Answer by 0123456 at 5:02 AM on Jul. 10, 2010