do D/C's mess with fertility?

My MIL suggested I get one b/c of my heavy heavy periods.... to "clean me out" UGH! Anyways, I'm scared, I don't want to do that. WHAT IF I am pregnant, even the slightest chance?! I know they would test before that but it worries me.... I think she is just being insensitive.......

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 7:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• I am totally not clear on what your question is... Did you really just ask if you should get a D & C!?
    smokisses

Answer by smokisses at 7:32 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Well... I'm asking if it is safe and if I'm WRONG for not wanting one? No, I'm not asking if I should get one... just rambling on about my MIL i guess.
    AshJoe05

Comment by AshJoe05 (original poster) at 7:33 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I don't think they do them just because you have a heavy flow. So I doubt a doctor would give you one just to " clean you out". your MIL should mind her own business and not be up in yours.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:36 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• But to answer the question Yes. If you had a miscarriage and get a D&C done, your fertility goes up. There has to be a medical reason to do it though.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:37 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Ok. A D&C does NOT just clean your period flow out. The D&C is to get rid of your baby, you have a miscarriage and they perform a D&C. It is basically the same as an abortion, they use a vacuum or instruments and clean the baby out.

Your MIL does not know what she is talking about. You should discuss your concerns with a Dr. and find out how far along your pregnancy is. Also, you shouldn't have a period if you are pregnant! GL

smokisses

Answer by smokisses at 7:44 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• smokisses- That's the thing, I'm not pregnant and cant get pregnant right now. my mil suggested a D & C to increase my fertility and clean me out b/c of my heavy flow but im no going to do it. my period is 5 days late and even though the tests are neg, i still wont risk it
    AshJoe05

Comment by AshJoe05 (original poster) at 8:04 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• You could be pregnant......wait another week and take a pregnancy test....as for doing a D & C to 'clean you out' (as your MIL is telling you), I have never heard of them performing that b/c your flow is heavy during your cycles. Mine are too but conducting a D &C is not something that a doctor or nurse practitioner would ever recommend (to my knowledge) fo the purpose your MIL is suggesting......It is only perfomed when you have m/c as there is sometimes remaining tissue from the baby, placenta, etc. that is still inside a woman's uterus and if that is not removed, you can get infection and that could impact your future fertility as it could lead to scarring inside.
    miraclewaits

Answer by miraclewaits at 9:05 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• A year after I had my tubes tied my doctor suggested I have a D&C and something called a NovaSure done because my periods would last for 2 weeks and be extremely heavy. He told me that this would also decrease my chances of getting pregnant ( I know I already had my tubes tied so this wasn't an issue for me). He also said that doing just the D&C would make it harder for a woman to get pregnant and that her periods would end up being just as heavy as they were before. The NovaSure was done because that is what keeps me from ever having a period again :). They do this by inserting a web device inside your uterus and shocking it, the lining never "rebuilds itself" so no more period.

You can not elect to have a D&C, this is a medical procedure that a doctor must suggest......so, I suggest that you tell your MIL to butt out and not worry about your periods.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 9:14 PM on Jul. 8, 2010