Breastfeeding Help- Bottle Help

I have a 2 and 1/2 week old and a 17month old/ I have been BF the newbaby and was hoping to cont. BUT she is having a hard time eating and staying awake to feed. She wakes every 4-6 hours and then only nurses for at most 10min.!!! After her feeding she throws most of it back up. We have to go to be weighed about everyother day--- I KNOW BREAST IS BEST--- but I am so worried all the time and I feel like it taking away from my 17month old son. Would you change her over to bottle? If she was on the bottle I would know just how much she is really getting in her short meals and I feel like I would have more time for my son, knowing that the baby is fed enough---
I know I could pump, but in doing so I would loss twice as much time with my son. Taking the time to pump between her feedings....

Really need help!! Please dont bash, I know that breast milk is best, but in this case is it really??

ashley_hatty

Asked by ashley_hatty at 7:40 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Gaiill, first of all...didn't you mean NOT breastfeeding has lifelong health consequences? Try proofreading your answers before posting them.

"The World Health Org. recommends waiting 3 years before ttc. That's how long it takes to recover and then you don't have to take care of a newborn and a 17 mo old."

Why don't you try keeping your RUDE mouth shut for a change? That comment was not only completely unnecessary, but also BEYOND rude.

And to answer the op's question, I would say keep on breastfeeding. I have a (just turned) 2 year old and a 3 month old. It's hard at first but it gets easier and your toddler will adjust. Try doing something fun with your son while nursing, like reading a book to him. Best of luck.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 5:23 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Does she wet like 5/6 diapers a day?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:43 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Have you talked to the pediatrician about it yet? My son threw up everything he ate until he was finally diagnosed with acid reflux and given baby Zantac.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 7:43 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Ten minutes is enough for an efficient nurser. i agree talk with the ped. You can probably supplement some gentle formula made for fussy babies for bedtime feedings AFTER breastfeeding her.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 7:46 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Stick with the breast. Changing to bottle isn't neccesarily the better thing to do. Babies will throw up what they don't need/want. Babies don't over-eat. As long as your baby is growing properly, then there is no reason for concern. Try not to lay her down directly after eating...this may be causing her to spit up. It's also very normal for a baby to spit up often after eating. Bouncing her too much while burping could cause this as well. Trust yourself, and your baby. She'll eat when she's hungry. My daughter would "SNACK" often at the breast. Her being my first, I doubted myself and thought she wasn't eating enough. But she gained weight properly, and all was fine. It's ok if she wants to have many small meals instead of eating 4-6 oz at a time.
    NicoR

Answer by NicoR at 7:46 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• if she is wetting and gaining weight then i would say keep breasfeeding. it may look like she is throwing up a lot, but it probably looks like a lot more than it is. and if you can get her on medicine for it she may stop. bottle feeding wont make her eat more.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:48 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• All a bottle will tell you is exactly how much she's eating. It won't solve the spit-up issues or the all consuming infant issues. I did this twice. I had a newborn and an 18mo and then had a newborn, 18 mo and 3yo. Sure your older one is getting shortchanged, but it won't change if you bottlefeed. Get to the bottom of the reflux issues and then I'm sure you will find things are going to level out. As pp said, if she's giving you 6-8 dipes a day and is gaining and not losing, then she's fine. I would also suggest trying eliminating dairy from your diet; sometimes 'reflux' is actually a dairy sensitivity in the baby.
    mama02040608

Answer by mama02040608 at 7:55 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• 10 mins might be enough. My DD used to take about 30-45 to nurse. Then I had my DS and he would nurse 10 mins total. I panicked. I talked to a lactation nurse and the ped and they both said he was gaining and was having enough wet diapers. He was fine only nursing 10 bc he was so efficient at it. I went on to nurse him for almost three years. Talk to your ped and see what they say.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 7:56 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My Dr. told me the baby knows when there hungry, I think shes doing ok she might gulp while feeding, that might be the cause of her spitting it up. I think nursing is better than trying to pump then feeding.. i think that might take more time. nursing is sooooo great to bond with your lil angel. And congrats on your two babies!!!
    megan1089

Answer by megan1089 at 7:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Take her to a ciropractor, It should help w/ the spitting up. How is her weight gain? If she really isnt gaining, you can always waker her more often to nurse. 10 minutes is really not alarming. Consider joining the breastfeeding moms group. It's much more conducive to answering questions like this. The word limit in this forum makes it more difficult.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:02 PM on Jul. 8, 2010