Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

does anyone know of a good website in regards to someone trying to get gaurdenship over your child?

Answer Question

Asked by donna1968 at 7:40 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Relationships

Level 2 (4 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • you should check out your state courtsystem website.

    Answer by adakbride at 7:41 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

  • I would check out the state statutes but would follow up with a call to an attorney or a Guardian Ad Litem agency in your area.

    Answer by admckenzie at 8:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

  • What state are you from? Laws can differ from state to state

    Answer by lawmom27 at 8:31 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

  • i live in iowa

    Comment by donna1968 (original poster) at 8:42 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

  • "A guardian is a creature of statute, and has only those powers that are prescribed by statute."[FN1] The powers and responsibilities of a guardian are the same as a parent, except a guardian is not obligated to provide for the ward from his own funds[FN2] and may not be liable to third persons by reason of parental relationship for acts of the ward.[FN3] Unlike with parents, there is no right of inheritance between the child and guardian.
    Generally, guardianship confers custody of the ward although not always.[FN4] If the guardian is not a parent, once the guardian is appointed and obtains custody of the minor, the parents no longer have responsibility for the child's day-to-day care,[FN5] although they may still be liable for support.
    Duties of the guardian include: the providing of food, clothing, shelter and necessities; authorizing medical and psychological care;[FN6] assuring the child learn

    Answer by lawmom27 at 2:31 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

  • ] assuring the child learns a trade, occupation or profession,[FN7] and educating the child in religious and social skills.[FN8] The guardian has a duty to remain sufficiently in contact with the child to know his or her needs, capacities, limitations, opportunities and physical and mental health.[FN9]

    Answer by lawmom27 at 2:34 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

  • The guardian is liable for the acts and omissions of agents performing his duties. A guardian may not delegate his powers and duties to another without permission of the court.[FN10] However, the guardian may allow others to care for the child as long as the guardian continues to supervise the care.[FN11] The guardian may also consent to marriage and enlistment in the armed services.[FN12]Responsibility for the care of the child's property is the guardian's unless a guardian of the property is appointed.[FN13] The guardian must keep the ward's property safe; not allow it to suffer waste or destruction; keep the property maintained and repaired, and return the property to the ward in at least as good of condition as the guardian received it.[FN14] The guardian must enforce all obligations and act as a prudent administrator.[FN15] Due care must be taken to conserve any excess funds for future needs, unless a conservator has been

    Answer by lawmom27 at 2:35 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

  • When necessary, the guardian must file protective proceedings to protect the minor's property.[FN17] A guardian may or may not have authority to settle a case without court approval. A child upon reaching the age of majority was successful in an action against an insurance company which settled with the parents on an uninsured motorist insurance policy because the child never received the settlement proceeds.[FN18]
    The child's place of abode may be determined by the guardian, but in some states, court approval must be obtained before a change of residence is allowed.[FN19] The court or state statutes may require a report from time to time as to the status of the ward.[FN20]
    Duties of the guardian continue until the minor reaches the age of majority, is emancipated or the court discharges the guardian.[FN21]

    Answer by lawmom27 at 2:35 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

  • I have more info so if you would like additional information send me a message because it is too much to put in these boxes

    Answer by lawmom27 at 2:36 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.