Question about ear tubes and what happens when they don't work.

My son has had tubes in for almost 9 months. They have never worked he's had 4 or 5 ear infections since. I took him back to the ENT this week and they said they should remove his adnoids (sp). I am completely against this. I asked if they could replace the regular tubes with T-tubes which is what I had done when I was a child. He said T-tubes would make a permanent hole in his ear. By the time I left he said he would remove the adnoid AND put in T-tubes.....

For the record. I WILL NOT TAKE OUT HIS ADNOIDS. Has anyone else been in this situation?

sunshine58103

Asked by sunshine58103 at 7:43 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well you are doing him no favors leaving the adnoids in. But hey your choice I respect that. You are looking at potentially more ear infections and permanent holes in his ear drums. My experience has been take out the adnoids, put in the tubes, and his ear infections stopped completely. So I guess I'm not much help.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:49 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I had T Tubes and had to have my ear drums repaired when I was in the 5th grade... I had lost 40 and 60 percent of my hearing becasue of these tubes.. I would try the having the adnoids removed first-- Good Luck!
    ashley_hatty

Answer by ashley_hatty at 7:50 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I had this problem when I was a child. I had tubes put in 4 times. The ENT removed my adnoids and I haven't had an ear infection in 30 years.

I'm not criticizing, but I am curious as to why you are against the removal of his adnoids?
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:51 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• getting the adnoids out will probably be better in the long run as far as infections and avoid more damage to hearing.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:52 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I don't know...I'm scare to remove something on him when he is so young! He's 21 months. See below.

The adenoids (say: add-eh-noids) are lumpy clusters of spongy tissue that help protect kids from getting sick. They sit high on each side of the throat behind the nose and the roof of the mouth. Although you can easily see your tonsils by standing in front of a mirror and opening your mouth wide, you can't see your adenoids this way. A doctor has to use a small mirror or a special scope to get a peek at your adenoids.

Like tonsils, adenoids help keep your body healthy by trapping harmful bacteria and viruses that you breathe in or swallow. Adenoids also contain cells that make antibodies to help your body fight infections. Adenoids do important work as infection fighters for babies and little kids. But they become less important once a kid gets older and the body develops other ways to fight germs.
    sunshine58103

Comment by sunshine58103 (original poster) at 8:05 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I appreciate all of your answers, please keep it up. That is why I'm here!
    sunshine58103

Comment by sunshine58103 (original poster) at 8:06 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• While I understand your fear, I am happy to tell you that after I had my adnoids removed, I was rarely sick.

While I do not remember the pain of my surgery that much, I DO remember the pain of my ear infections.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:12 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• i had tubes when i was 13 months. One fell in, punctured my ear drum, and I had extensive ear surgery when I was 3, then again right before my 6th birthday. Since neither worked, I had yet another surgery when I was 13. I still only have like half hearing in my left ear due to this. Plus, I never learned how to swim or couldnt do anything fun like my classmates.
    bananaapplepie

Answer by bananaapplepie at 1:34 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Have you tried eliminating dairy?

Answer by rkoloms at 5:52 PM on Jul. 9, 2010