Would you accept this answer this way for 1st grade addition?

She has addition work sheets that she we work on.adding 1-5
She is sappost to use blocks to make 2 piles and then put them to gether to add them together. Instead we she will read me the fist number and I will hold that many fingurs up then she will read the next number and then she counts the total of fingers I got up for the answer......

Would you accept this answer From my daughter? My daughter is Very adhd and I have to ajust every thing for her..

four2bmws

Asked by four2bmws at 7:51 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in

• I teach kids with adhd. I am a special education teacher. I understand the need to adjust things for her. I do have a slight problem with what you are doing. Here is my reason.

From what I understand, She is supposed to count out the blocks for the first number, then count out the blocks for the second number, then add the two piles up. Am I correct? One skill that is important is the ability to count with one to one correspondence. With you holding up your fingers, she is not counting out the blocks herself and is not using the skill to count with one to one correspondence. 

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:58 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I would but I'm not her teacher. If you are homeschooling her then yes but work on creating the piles.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I agree with layh41407. I would do it the way the teacher asked, one to one correspondence is an important skill that the kids need to learn. My son is ADHD and this actually worked very well for him. I teach 4 yr old preschool and I taught them how to add this way and they caught on right away.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:19 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• Well no because altho YOU know she is figuring it out, her teacher doesn't have time to do this with the entire class, so she is gonna have to learn to write the answer down on her own without help. I believe math is mostly memorization too. Sing a song with it.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 12:38 AM on Jul. 15, 2010

Next question in
Nanny needed in Nashville!

Next question overall (Shopping)
Diaper pail