Anyone have info on how to get a mammogram, if you have no health insurance?

I am also wondering how much one would be because I have no insurance right now, and my last mammogram was three years ago.

Kim370

Asked by Kim370 at 7:55 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Health

• Call a mammogram service and ask. I know there are agencies who pay for them for women. I just didn't pay attention to who they were when it was on the news. You can also call the health dept. They might know

Answer by admckenzie at 7:57 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• i would go to the health department. you may qualify for a free or reduced price one. if not they can tell you where to go.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:57 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Self pay prices for medical services vary from state to state. Most of the time if you pay out of pocket you pay a discounted rate because hospitals and doctors don't charge self pay patients the same amount that they charge insurance companies. In Connecticut the rate at this time is 43% of the regular fee for services. Contact your local hospital or your doctor and just ask them what the price would be, if they offer payment plans, and what you have to have in place before you can schedule an appointment.

Also, have you considered applying for a Medicaid program? I don't know what state you are in, but your state may have a good program for you.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:07 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I agree with jennifer588. Call your local health department and ask. I hope you're able to get an appointment,hon! I have 2 friends that are dealing with breast cancer now, and just lost my sister in law to lung cancer almost 3 months ago. Good luck!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 8:41 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Also check with a medical school in your area or with hospitals to see if there are any upcoming screening events. Also, sometimes there are clinical trials where you get some free medical services.
    joysings

Answer by joysings at 1:47 PM on Jul. 9, 2010