Should I be concerned that my 7 year old is in love with lady gaga?

My daughter is a huge fan of lady gaga and it concerns me a little. I mean my daughter is too young to understand what half her songs are about, but it really does worry me. she threw a fit in the store earlier because i wouldn't buy her the cd. I'm normally pretty open to what kinds of music my kids listen to as long as it's not too explicit for the younger ones. i just don't want my daughter being exposed to that stuff at such a young age. am i wrong for not letting her listen to what she wants?

nyraerikson

Asked by nyraerikson at 8:18 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes. I think that answer is most definitely. I would be concerned if anyone was obsessed with her. She stands for something we should not want our youth to be impressed with. Do you want your child to see that kind of stuff as is in her videos? Do you want your child to dress or act like that? I would think a responsible adult would not want this.
    Anonymous

• As long as she doesn't see the music videos, it's all cool. :)
    AshleighOlsen

Answer by AshleighOlsen at 8:24 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I won't listen to her as an adult so...no way would my daughter be listening to her at age 7
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:27 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I guess I don't really see why it's considered explicit, but I've pretty much just listened to bad romance.
    granted I wasn't 7, but my mom was appauled at the song boom boom lets go back to my room when I was growing up. then she realized I listened to it.
    I turned out ok-
    it's up to you what she listens to, but keep in mind that she'll hear stuff like that in the stores and like and she probably isn't paying as close attention to the lyrics as you are.

up to you.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 8:27 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• There's no way I would let my dd (she'll be 7 in Nov.) listen to her music. My dd doesn't even know who Lady Gaga is, and that is fine with me. I say, let kids keep their innocence as long as possible. They will be exposed to all that type of stuff eventually, so protect their innocence as long as you can. Good for you for telling your dd no and standing your ground. That's what mommas are for, protecting their child even when the child doesn't understand or like it.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 8:31 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• There is no reason for concern. Musical interest can start at any age. She may not understand the lyrics right now, but she is young enough to appreciate the sub-levels of the music ranging from vocals, to beats and hooks. Lady Gaga is just a chart topper right now so naturally it is understandable why she is who your daughter is idolizing her vocals after. I do not however recommend her watching the videos, as I do not believe the videos she produces are suitable for your daughter's age group. But again, there will be new artists with new music who your daughter will express interest in, so eventually the Lady Gaga phase will pass.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 8:32 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• You are the mom, just tell her that you have decided that her music is inappropriate for a child to hear. Then, leave it at that. My kids are well aware that there are some songs that they are not permitted to hear and that it is considered *adult music* My dd is 6.5 and she understands that.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 11:02 PM on Jul. 8, 2010