How do you deal with this?

My sister in law comes over today, im smack in the middle of potty training right now, and tells me i am 'dehumanizing' my daughter because she is running around the house in no diaper and a shirt. She won't go on the potty if she has a pull up on, and she won't go if she has pants or just undies on, the only way i can get her to use it right now is diaper-less, pantie-less, and pants-less. So she tells me no ONE she has ever met has done this to potty train their child, WELL LUCKY THEM! They had a child who was able to get the difference of a diaper and a pull up. I just kept laughing and telling her it was okay, and let my daughter continue on this course, where she peed a few more times and even pooped, then right b4 she walks out the door to leave, she tells my DD i'm sorry mommy is treating you like a puppy being paper trained! WTF! WTF! So how many people do what i am doing, with the naked baby? And any other have any

smilelovesmile

Asked by smilelovesmile at 8:19 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i am very sorry that your sister in law said that to your child, she had no right. I let my daughter run around without a diaper 15 mins every night right before bath time. she is 14 months old. a bit early for potty training but i feel that if she feels the pee run down her leg she will start understanding what goes on when she goes potty. If this is how your child will go potty by God you stick to it. There is NO ONE way to teach a child. Every child learns differently, I am proud of you that you laughed it off and are continuing to let her run bottomsless. Your are the mom, you know your child. And if this does not work you will find another way.
    I woudl be tempted to repremand your SIL about how she spoke to your daughter, she needs to respect your mothering and how you do things. Good luck with the potty training. She will get it when she is ready, stay strong!!!!
    bekmae777

Answer by bekmae777 at 9:33 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I know a LOT of people that have done that. There is nothing wrong with it, as a mother you get to decide what is best for YOUR child since you know her the best.

As for "Auntie" I would just tell her that "Auntie" has her best wishes at heart and that it's ok that she doesn't agree with what you say because not everyone will agree on everything.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 8:22 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• A LOT of people do it that way...outside even in their backyards.

It's not dehumanizing.  Kids love to be naked.  My 4yo still runs around the house naked and laughing and carefree.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:26 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My son was the same way and still is sometimes. If he has a bare bum he never has an accident on the floor but if he has clothes on or a pull up, he'll pee and poop in it.
    He's gotten much better now, still occasional accidents but whatever.

You are not "dehumanizing" your daughter. Your sister in law is being ridiculous.
    Next time she says something like that to your daughter say "I would appreciate it if you wouldn't talk that way to my daughter. You may not agree with my methods but this is what works for us. If you don't like it, then so be it but please keep your comments to yourself."

She has no business saying that to your daughter.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 8:23 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Deal with it by ignoring those comments!! Tell her just because SHE doesn't know anyone who has done it that way doesn't mean that no one ever has or that it's some how wrong. You are not dehumanizing your child by allowing her to go naked in her own home. That's just silly. After that, if she continues to make these comments ask her to kindly refrain from visiting your home until your poor dehumanized little child is potty trained.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:24 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• suggestions on how to talk with my DD Auntie?
    smilelovesmile

Comment by smilelovesmile (original poster) at 8:19 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I let my son run around without anything specially if he had an accident in them. You SIL is crazy!
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 8:35 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I do the same thing with my DS...he only gets dressed if we are going somewhere, and only wears a diaper while we are gone or when he sleeps...it is working well with us. If I put a diaper on him, he takes it off anyways to go use the potty...
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 8:54 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My sil did this with her triplets. She has 6 all together all girls. She just puts them in a dress and nothing underneath. She also tries to take them outside if it is summer time. It helps keep down on the mess. they were done pretty quickly.
    Sounds to my like you sil doesn have any kids and she has no idea what she is talking about. BUt if I was you I would make it clear that she is to keep her ideas to herself. Esp not talking to your dd about them.
    tiredmomfor2

Answer by tiredmomfor2 at 10:01 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I thought everyone potty trained like this. Maybe she is living under a rock. My son runs around naked most of the time. It's summer, it's hot, he is 22 months and potty training too. I haven't noticed a difference in his accidents with or without underwear. At my parents in the country they are all naked, meaning my niece who is a month younger than my oldest and my 8 month old. My 5 yr old nephew wears shorts now, but up until last year he was naked in the water a lot too. WTH. Dehumanizing? That's the craziest thing I have ever heard. Actually, I think letting them be naked the first day or 2 is part of the Potty Boot Camp. Then they can feel it running down their body. That's a big WHATEV to her.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:02 PM on Jul. 8, 2010