A friend is nervous about leaving her kids while on vacation. What do I say?

Momstampsalot

Asked by Momstampsalot at 8:25 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Relationships

• leaving them at home while she goes you mean?
    how old are they?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:29 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Not sure, but I would be too! My parents did once for about two weeks, but it was with our grandparents.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 8:29 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I don't think you can make it better. I think you just have to let her decide and then support her choice either way. I was nervous leaving my son for the weekend, but he ended up having a total BLAST with my mother and his cousin. He came back refreshed and more independent and it ended up being great for him!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:29 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• depends- who is she leaving the kids with? someone who the kids are used to being with?
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 8:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• She is leaving the kids with their grandparents. They are very active in the kids lives (3 and 1) and will be at my friends house. So the only thing missing will be her and her husband! But she is scared to fly (leaves tomorrow) and I have been there-I always worry something is going to happen and my son will be parentless. I want to comfort her but not say the cliche, "oh don't worry, it will be okay." Perhaps I am overthinking it! I just want her to know I am here for her!
    Momstampsalot

Comment by Momstampsalot (original poster) at 8:34 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I think it depends on their ages and who she is leaving them with. It's normal to feel strange/nervous about leaving your kids-esp if it's the first time....just tell her it's her time to re-group so she can come back fresh for her kids and herself....
    connorsmom1970

Answer by connorsmom1970 at 8:41 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• ah..just saw your answer....sounds like she is more nervous about flying then leaving her kids....a little Valium??? :-)
    connorsmom1970

Answer by connorsmom1970 at 8:42 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Being a complete nervous wreck myself (I drive everyone crazy with what ifs) what you can tell her is, yes, something could go wrong on her flight. But the chances are greater that she'll make to and from her destination just fine. Just use statistics (which I don't know because I don't fly lol) just help her work through her anxiety, don't dismiss it.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 5:39 PM on Jul. 9, 2010