for those with restricted diets

So if you are vegetarian, or kosher, or just don't eat msg or something, when (what age) did you explain this to your kids, and how did you do it? For example, when others are eating something you and your family don't eat?

FelipesMom

Asked by FelipesMom at 8:25 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• We're vegan and it's something that we've explained bit by bit since he was very small. He's almost 5 now and he mostly gets it but sometimes he gets a little mixed up. We were at a birthday party a few weeks ago where they were having ice cream and of course he couldn't have any. Afterwards he asked why his friend didn't just have normal ice cream instead of cow milk ice cream. I thought that was pretty funny. We had a talk about how a lot of people choose to drink cow milk but we don't because it's not good for the cows and it's not good for our bodies to drink it. I likened it to eating too much candy since that's something he can identify with.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 3:23 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Those answers start from day one.

I have 3 children, we are vegetarians, they opt out of eating meat (they have all tried it) on their own, because it makes them feel "icky". I give them simply, straight forward answers about what they are eating, what others are eating, and why we are not.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:27 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Well, we don't drink tea or coffee or alcoholic drinks.....I don't know that we're even around people that do....I've not had to explain it yet....kids are all under 3.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 8:28 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• tell them when they ask
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 8:33 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I have a fairly strict diet for me. My daughter was a vegetarian for many years, but has lived in foreign countries where that is really difficult and has sense rescinded. My husband and son consume regular standard diets. I would not impose such restrictions on my children, sorry.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:54 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My kids were young adults when I started with vegetarianism, I just made a meal for them and a meal for hubby and myself.

Answer by older at 7:53 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Hmmm good question...we eat Halal, so i wonder when we will explain this to ours
    sukainah

Answer by sukainah at 10:31 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• THANK YOU RhondaVeggie for actually answering the question!!! I think you are the only one that did!!!!
    FelipesMom

Comment by FelipesMom (original poster) at 9:02 PM on Jul. 10, 2010