Should o go back to work or stay home with my kids?

I have a two year old and a two month old have am planning to go back to work, but an questioning whether or not to quit my job. I am scared to walk away from a great paying job in this economy and to lose half of our family income. On the other hand, i wonder if i will regret missing the irreplacable time with my kids. This is such a hard decision. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:51 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• My choice would be to stay with the kids...they are only little once and they grow sooooooooo fast....if you blink...you might miss it.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 8:52 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• i personally would go back to work if you think you can handle it
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:53 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• its good to have your own identity besides just being a mom, and getting out of the house sometimes. and yes like you said, this economy is not great and i know i need all the money i can get. especially since i plan on spoiling my children and i like to do and buy alot of things.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:54 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• If you can financially handle it I would stay home with the kids. Once they are in school then go back to work but don't put a strain on your family financially.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 8:54 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Your kids are only little once. You can't buy those precious memories.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:54 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• If you can afford it, I would stay home.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 8:55 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I've done both. With my oldest son, I had to work. Was single and was the only source of income. At the time, I enjoyed being able to support the two of us. Was able to stay home when the youngest came along. For me, I was very happy to be able to stay home with him, but I also found it challenging. I felt like I lost my independence by having to ask dh for money. If you can live on one income, you could always give it a try to see if you like it. My oldest son is so much more independent than the younger one, which I attribute to him having to always go to daycare or a babysitter. The youngest one is very much a mama's boy.
    Sue41

Answer by Sue41 at 8:56 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I chose to stay home. I'd be willing to make any sacrifices (within reason) needed to stay home with my son. In my opinion, time with my son is priceless, and the best job in the world. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:04 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• You need to work. If your family is relying 1/2 on your income, seriously go back to work. This staying at home stuff is not right for those of you who need to work. Sacrifices or not, it's not right. Go work and make an honest living for your family. They will thank you later.
    Anonymous

• If you can swing it financially and you want to do it, I would stay home. There are very few things you could buy that would outweigh time and memories spent with your children.

Also, there are plenty of ways to maintain your identity. Charity work, artists outlets, etc.. A paycheck doesn't say who you are.
    Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 3:41 PM on Jul. 9, 2010