how old do u think it okay for ur child to have a cell phone

i got my 14 year old son a cell phone and it easy to keep up with him but he was talking back to me yesterday so i took the cell phone away form him and told him when he can respect me he mite get it back im a widow mother of 2 but im not going to have my kids talk any kind of a way to me for any reson do u think im a bad mom he said im a bad mom and he wish his dad was hear i do to but hes not so i got to do my best thanks for ur help

Asked by auntmary45 at 3:05 PM on Jun. 28, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Fourteen is too young for my likings. My kids will probably get them when they start driving.

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:08 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I got a cell phone when I was 16 because the car I was driving was an older car and my parents wanted me to be able to reach them if it broke down. My hubby wasn't allowed to have any kind of phone while living at his parents house. I figured I would let my kids have the programmable phone (where they just have the numbers in them the parents put there) when they are younger and when they get their car at 16 or 17 then they get a cell phone.

• My ds and I agree that the cell phone comes w/ their first job. They need to be able to understand the cost and responsibility that go along with the phone. Also it will allow us to keep tabs.

Answer by h3art2h0m3 at 3:12 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I think it really depends on the children. At home I have a 16 year old daughter and a 13 year old son and both do school sports. So it is easier for us to keep up with what is going on without them having to borrow a phone and call us. DS is also driving an older vehicle that although runs well can still have problems in the future and she is also a social butterfly. We just feel more comfortable being able to get ahold of them or them us in the event of an emergency.

Answer by shella at 3:26 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• whoops meant that the daughter was driving not my son. He is only 13

Answer by shella at 3:27 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• i think as soon as they start school, and yes i mean as soon as they start. i want my kids to know that if they need to get ahold of me even at school they can.

• You are absolutely right. It's a wise crack and a low blow about his dad. Say it to him like you said it to us: you wish he was here but he isn't and you are doing the best you can. Actually, I would say and you are in charge. You are doing a good job in a hard situation. I think you have an extra tough situation with a teenage boy and no Dad. It's tough on him too but he still needs discipline. The phone was a good idea and using it to get respect by taking it away is ok.

Answer by manna1qd at 4:15 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I think that if you are trying to teach your child responsibility a track phone is a good way to go. Its like an allowance. You give them oh so many minutes and then they have to maintain their minutes or they are just out of luck. I think it should be a one time chance though. The first time the phone gets lost its too bad til they get a job.

Answer by HeatherTurner at 4:26 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• 16 or older....

Answer by queen_tut at 4:57 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I don't think it is too young for him to have one. And I think you did the right thing by taking it away from him. Don't let him wear you down.. you are doing the best that you can. I can not even imagine what that would be like. So don't let him get to you. Remember you are his mom and you are teaching him the proper way to grow up! Keep up the good work!

Answer by BreakingFree at 5:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2008