Fertility Meds?

Okay so who has ever taken fertility meds and what do they do (do they only stimulate the release of eggs?) Do they stimulate release from both ovaries? How much does it increase your chance of multiples? Also is it a very hard process to get fertility meds or fairly simple?
Also what kinds has anyone had? And how were your results?

hotrodmomma

Asked by hotrodmomma at 9:06 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• I took clomid because of no ovulation.. It cost me $9 for the first round which is 5 days worth of pills at 50mg, $18 for 100mg and it went up by $9 every time you went up mg's. It took us 100mg to get pregnant the first time I was on it (ended up m/c at 14wks5days) and then took 150mg the second time (carried to term but had a subchorionic hemorrhage through the first trimester)
    I actually read an article one day at my drs office (different dr than gave me the clomid) and it said that implantation is harder when on clomid.
    It does increase your chances of multiples but not a huge amount really.. It stimulates the ovaries to release an egg so of course there are chances that more than one slips through..
    good luck
    mommyto4rugrats

Answer by mommyto4rugrats at 12:16 PM on Jul. 10, 2010

• If I had a bump I would bump this for you.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 9:12 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I took two rounds of Clomid which is actually a mild fertility drug. I wasn't ovulating normally and Clomid is supposed to help you ovulate. I took the first round, a very low dose, I don't remember what the dosage was, this was 11 years ago, got bloodwork done, doc said I didn't ovulate and I started my period a few days later. He upped the dosage the following month and again, the bloodwork showed I didn't ovulate but I didn't start my period. He gave me Provera to jump start my period and after 6 days of taking it, I still hadn't started. Just for kicks, I took a pregnancy test and lo and behold, there was a plus sign! Clomid isn't supposed to increase your chances of multiples because it's very mild.The side effects were rough, I had horrendous hot flashes and mood swings that made PMS seem like a picnic.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:16 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Oh, I had to get preapproval from my insurance company to pay for the Clomid, but it wasn't difficult. I got the script from my regular OB/GYN and he was only going to give me 3 rounds of Clomid because he didn't feel comfortable giving me a higher dosage. He was going to send me to a fertility specialist if that didn't work.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:18 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I'm sorry, I don't know how much it costs, because it was covered by my insurance. I do know that fertility meds can be very expensive.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:33 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My clomid was around $20 for the first round of 5 pills.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 9:40 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Does anybody remember how much the Clomid ran price wise? (in case ins. doesn't cover it?)
    hotrodmomma

Comment by hotrodmomma (original poster) at 9:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Your doctor will want to do bloodwork on you before he/she puts you on any kind of fertility meds to see what exactly is going on with you.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:23 AM on Jul. 9, 2010