• In the Spotlight:

Do you prefer cruise vacations vs land, what is it about cruises you didnt like

vacations

1LovelyAngel

Asked by 1LovelyAngel at 9:08 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Travel

• i dont like cruises because i get really bad sea sick.
    plus i just like being able to do what i want, like go shopping, go wherever yano ... not be stuck on a boat. but i do like cruises too. i just go for the quicker ones like FL to bahamas.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:09 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I've been on three and hated each one. The first one was so bad I tried to talk someone into making the experience in to a Griswold Family Cruise with Chevy Chase! The second one, no one told me folks could smoke on it and I'm allergic to smoke. I had to spend the entire time in my room unless I left the ship! The last one dragged bottom out of New Orleans and gave me a headache that didn't stop until after the cruise was over. They had a policy to send me home and refund my money. I called to have them do that and found out I had to pay my own way back and they would reimburse me (sometime in the future) and they would only reimburse part of it. I stayed on the cruise but swore I'd never take another one. The cost was great on each one but it wasn't worth the miserable time I had. I will say the food was decent.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:17 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I prefer land vacations. We took a cruise once. It was okay. The food wasn't all that great. It was good, but definitely not great. My husband says he didn't like how long it took to get on at the beginning. It got kind of boring, too. It just isn't something I would want to do for every vacation.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:09 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Oh, I will add that my husband and I were in the Navy, so cruising along on the ocean wasn't new and exciting to us like it would be for people who had never been on a ship.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:10 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I love cruising!!! Hubby loves cruising!!! friends love cruising!!! Kids love cruising!!!!! unpack once!!! get a clean bathroom twice a day. no worry about dinner- or any other meal. al taken care of. room service included. Kids won't get lost...Oh my....I could go on for ever!!!! My k ids were 11 and 13 on their first and are now 16 and 15....they LOVE!!!!!!! cruises!!!!!! and oh my...the places they willl see and the people they will meet!!!!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 10:20 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I've never been on a cruise, but I have no desire to go on one. I used to think they'd be good, but then I saw pictures from a cruise that a co-worker went on. Around the pools people were packed in like sardines, there was barely any room between chairs around the pools. The only time they weren't squished with hundreds of other people, they were on a windy, cold deck. Not my idea of a relaxing vacation.

Hubby and I are going to Mexico, the Mayan Riviera in Jan for a second honeymoon. We've booked a luxury all inclusive resort that has an adults only section. I love kids, but if I'm not taking my own, I don't want to have to listen to someone else's kids. I can't wait, the next 6 months will seem like forever!
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:23 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• we have noticed with land vacations we go many places and do not stay in one place much and the kids don't make any new friendships unless we are camping for a week. all vacations have different merits.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 10:31 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• DH & I have been on two. Both were with the same cruise line; same ship actually. Our first cruise was our honeymoon so we really didn't notice or care about anything but each other. We had a great time. Our 2nd cruise was last year for our 5th anniversary. It wasn't as great as the first one. Part of it was our fault: I started my period the 2nd day of our trip and DH came down with a cold, which meant the pool was out for both of us. My period always makes me tired so late nights and drinking were out. You could tell that the cruise line had been affected by the downturn in the economy. They seemed short staffed and the food wasn't as good as it was before. On the flip side, on that particular cruise, we stopped at 5 ports so we got to see & do a lot. We also went in early May before schools were out so there weren't a lot of kids & teens on the boat. They also upgraded us for free to a suite, which was awesome!
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 11:19 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• We much prefer cruising than being on land... we are taking our girls on their first one in November and our oldest is really excited. The girls will be 2 and 5 when we travel. This will be Dh's 20+ cruise and my 11th. We've never had a bad experience on a ship or in port...although, I will say that I dislike Jamaica intensely. We love to travel and love to go to different countries so cruises are a great fit for us.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 4:28 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Cruises aren't my thing at all. I prefer to see as few people as possible on my vacation. The idea of being trapped on a ship with a bunch of people gives me the heebie jeebies.

DH and I prefer to find remote cabins in the mountains so we can explore solo.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 12:52 PM on Jul. 12, 2010