Catholics

I've always been baptist untill I met my husband and converted to Catholic. I always hear my husband saying how many people hate catholics. Why is that? What is so wrong with the Catholic Church?

MKSers

Asked by MKSers at 9:12 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am Catholic, despise the child molestors (believe in the death penalty for this crime) and have never known anyone that worships the Pope. I do love the church, she is above the bad people that have been a part of her. There are bad people in all organizations, that doesn't mean the organization or all its members are bad. I find it interesting that people give Muslims a pass, but not Catholics. Catholics are all painted with the same brush because of the child molestors. Why aren't Muslims painted the same way because of the terrorists. Frankly, it is hypocritical.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:13 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• I don't think it is right to judge a whole religion and its followers based on the poor choices of a few bad leaders.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:08 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• The hatred of Catholics (which has been going strong since long before the current molestation scandal) stems from ignorance of Catholic beliefs and traditions. Many people object to or hate what they think the Catholic church is, teaches and believes and not what the Catholic church actually is, teaches, and believes.

There are not over a 100 people in the U.S. that hate the Catholic Church, there are millions however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church, which is, of course, quite a different thing.
    -Archbishop Fulton Sheen
    erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 1:54 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• It goes back centuries, and is mostly political. The Church of Rome had a whole lot of power, monarchies wanted it, and wars were waged to fight who got to control the population. In order to get the support of the people each side demonized the other as not "true" Christians. Catholics were called idolaters because the of the opulence of their churches, and their beliefs were twisted in order to make them seem bad compared to others.    Feelings are passed through generations, and there you have it.

Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 6:45 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• That's the first time I have heard that. There is nothing wrong with the Catholic Church.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 9:13 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I grew up in pentecostal churches and my mom thought Catholics were WACK
    the statues for one thing...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:15 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• MKSers- it was the manner in which guilty child molesters were handled. They were not turned over to the authorities but were transfered and hid amongst different parishes. There was more then one case where accused molesters were given different parishes instead of being turned over to the police.
    natural.mama

Answer by natural.mama at 9:34 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Today it seems a lot of people are upset with the manner in which the Catholic Church is handling the matter of the molestations. In some circumstances it appears that there is a huge cover up and the victims need justice not excuses. If the leaders of said Church would let the authorities handle the matter then it would put the leaders in a more positive light. It's not the Catholics themselves that are at the heart of the matter, rather it is the leaders that are of concern in the cover up.  

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:41 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• As a Catholic I can say the Catholic Church brought this attitude upon itself. Molestation is everywhere, but to cover it up is disgusting. I think the fact that priest must remain unmarried makes the Catholic Church a great hidding place for gays and for those who would molest children...not confusing gays with molesters! There is a difference. I also think that a lot of the doctrines in place by old school man society, like no birth control etc is a lot of the problem. It is not practical today to discourage bc. I think God would think it a greater sin to have a baby you had no intentions of loving or caring for, or to have an abortion than it is to take a pill once a day so you don't have to worry about the other I just mentioned. I think the Catholic Church is trying to be a bit more liberal...but old habits die hard, especially when ran by all men.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:43 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic school, and I'm no longer practicing nor will I ever go back...its not the hatred for people that are catholic, its the hypocricy I've seen that causes my choice to no longer practice or not like the church. Things just don't add up to me, and the lying, the secrecy, the preaching the word and then not following through or upholding it publicly not just by priests or cardinals but by the people themselves just annoys me. As others have stated its the doctrines as well.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 3:34 PM on Jul. 9, 2010