help! what do I do about this?

Awhile back I needed to go to the ER for something. I now have a $4,000 bill I can't pay and I'm not working. (sahm, last worked at age 19 when I married and I'm 38 now...dh didn't want me to work so I stopped working at 19)

We're having difficulty financial, but I'm not sure if we qualify for help. (we can't get foodstamp or anything else) My dh is unable to take care of this bill and it's up too me. I need to fix it but I don't know how. I want to get a job but my health isn't good and standing for any length of time is difficult.

Any ideas what I can do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:19 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• Go get a job. Seriously... why this stuff? Why are people not working and expecting handouts? I don't get it. Help me to understand this reasoning. Are women that have babies automatically immune from working? Immune from bringing in an income when they so desperately need to? HELP!!!
    Anonymous

• I believe you can speak to a social worker at the hospital. wish I had a better answer though- common problem
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 9:24 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• WOW! people should really not be allowed to get anonymous status if they are going to be bitchy about it.
    Let it go to collections, until then do not talk to anyone that calls about. Do not admit that the bill is for you. Always call it an alledged bill. Once it goes to collections, let them hold it for awhile. Ask for a description of the bill. Go over the whole bill and make sure it is correct. i got charge 75 times once for a test that i never even had done! It is always good to check. Then after you have checked and delt with anything that is wrong...ask for a settlement. They will sometimes cut you 50% off of the bill just because they have sat on it for so long by this point.
    The bill that they billed me wrong for. Once thy fixed the mistakes they dropped the whole bill because the hospital had made such a mess of it! Feel free to pm if you need help! Hope you feel better soon!
    tiredmomfor2

Answer by tiredmomfor2 at 9:29 PM on Jul. 8, 2010