starting vitamins at 6 months?

did your children? I didn't even know babies had to take vitamins until my sons checkup yesterday. Today when I picked them up at the pharmacy the pharmacist was really scary when talking about making sure not to forget a day and such.... It almost makes me afraid to give the vitamins to him... :/

What do you ladies think about the vitamins?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, we have always made sure that our son is receiving proper nutrition. We did not use vitamins until a few months ago (he's 5) and that was because he expressed interest after we studied nutrition and the food pyramid.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 10:05 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My oldest is 4 and we have never given any of our kids vitamins. Our MD has said that they aren't needed if they are getting the proper nutrients from their diet. At 6 months, they were on formula and just beginning solids. They didn't really need anything else.

If you are concerned at all, I would call the MD and ask why he thinks your son needs them. Then go from there.
    mupt02

Answer by mupt02 at 10:07 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• No way. Never heard this. I would be completely leary to give a 6 month old vitamins. If they are being breast fed or formula fed they do not need them. Are they not being fed by either of these ways? Too much of some vitamins at an early age can have bad affects on a baby. That's what I was taught though.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:07 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I've NEVER heard of a baby that young getting vitamins. My kids' ped said they're only needed if a baby isn't getting enough to eat and/or all the right nutrients.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 10:08 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Breastfed babies don't need them as long as breastmilk remains the main thing they eat for 12 mo and they were full term. If the baby is anemic the baby may need to eat meat or take iron for brain growth.

Formula fed babies would depend on the formula, how much formula the baby eats a day, what else the baby eats, ect. Much more complicated.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:09 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I have not given any of my three vitamins. My doc wanted me to start my baby on vit D but decided not to give it to him and just take him outside instead. I make sure the older children eat fruit, veggies and meat and they are healthy as can be!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:14 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• The only vitiamin I've heard suggested was Vit D. We skipped it. We opted for some natural sunlight every day instead.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 10:23 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Drs are now commonly recommending Vitamin D for breastfed babies. Even many adults do not get the recommended amount of Vitamin D (I consider myself an "outdoors" person, but had my Vit D level tested recently and it was low!)

Answer by missanc at 10:56 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Don't give them if they have fluoride in them. Most prescription baby vitamins do. I didn't know this and at 6 months I gave the vitamin drops my pediatrician prescribed. Now my DD is nearly 4 months old and have permanent spots on her teeth from the fluoride in the vitamins.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:10 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Myu son is 12 months and i havent been told anything about it? Im not saying your doc is wrong, im just saying i havent heard anything :) I know in the older days they used to. Is doc an older doc? That could be why?
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:16 AM on Jul. 9, 2010