What were some of the more unique punishments you've used on your kids?

I'm thinking about unique out of the ordinary strange or funny punishments you've given your kids. Not just stand in the corner, sit in time out, type stuff. Like my son forgot his reading for the night at school so I made him read a chapter in Grey's Anatomy out loud. His teacher got a laugh out of that one and he never forgot his reading again. I've heard of people putting their kids in walmart parking lot with oak tag that said, "I'm a thief!" Strange things. What ya got?

babyfat5

Asked by babyfat5 at 10:04 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I've given my girls a drop of hot sauce on the tongue for telling a lie. I also explain how lies hurt people and how they hurt the one who tells it as well.

We have given them a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar for talking back.

If they don't clean up their room after I've asked them twice, I go around and collect all the toys in a trash bag, which is put up in the storage room. The toys can be won back when they clean up of their own accord without anyone asking.

My daughter "forgot" her spelling list and couldn't do her homework more than once. (Always on the day they had to do alphabetical order that she hates). On the second occasion, we made her write 40 times "I will remember to bring home my spelling word sheet."
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 10:12 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I don't really think of them as "cynical" so much as the punishment fits the crime. It is an oportunity to teach rather than just mete out punishment.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 10:16 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My daughter once told me that I treated her like a slave by having her do chores. I countered with she doesn't do her chores OR listen to me when I tell her to get on them. She told me how easy my job as thwe mom was. So I told her that she could be the mom for an hour. She thought that was great. I had a list of chores a mile long. Didn't matter, I told her I wasn't doing them and then sat down and watched tv. She yelled , she screamed, she even grounded me. Finally she said she didn't want to be the mom anymore because I wasn't "being fair" about it. I told her that I was treating her the way she felt it was okay to treat me. That shut her up for a little bit. Then she came back and apologized to me. She still doesn't always listen and do what I ask of her-but she is ALOT better. I actually can't believe it worked and I still laugh when I think about the look on her face when she told me to go wash the dishes and I said NO!
    Alynn74

Answer by Alynn74 at 11:32 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• what?......
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 10:10 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• These are the kind of things that will be right up my husband's alley. He is a synical bastard like that. Good ideas ladies.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:15 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• If they don't clean up their room after I've asked them twice, I go around and collect all the toys in a trash bag, which is put up in the storage room. The toys can be won back when they clean up of their own accord without anyone asking.

I do this. When they won't stay in bed after bedtime I make them do pick up all toys, take dirty clothes to the laundry basket, whatever cleaning I can find for them to do. If they run out of stuff I dump their toys out.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 11:04 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• my daughter is still too young for anything more than "no" right now, but I remember my mom making my brother & I sit on the couch and hold hands until we could apologize to each other for real (if we'd been arguing)
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 12:29 AM on Jul. 9, 2010