How did you handle this?

my 5yo ds has recently discovered how to 'tickle' his penis...using anything..but mostly rubbing against something like the couch, or my leg, or the side of the mattress.
i'm not worried about his being a perv, or being scared to touch himself..i just need tips on how to handle this correctly. he is going to kindergarten in august, and i'll be danged if he gets in trouble for doing something so 'natural'. help!

dullscissors

Asked by dullscissors at 10:09 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I tell my boys that it's a personal and very private thing to do. If they want to do that, they need to go to the bathroom or to their room. That it isn't done in front of other people or any place other than home. If you haven't already, I would also start the talking about who is and who isn't allowed to touch his penis and when it is okay.
    Alynn74

Answer by Alynn74 at 11:04 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Now is the time to explain to him that while there is nothing wrong with it, it is a personal thing and does not need to be done in front of other people because it makes other people uncomfortable. Both of my boys did pretty well with that explanation.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:11 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I typically ignore those types of behaviors. If you don't make it into a big deal, he'll most likely stop.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 10:11 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• LOL Oh my, is this what I have to look forward to with my 2 boys? That's the funniest, rubbing up on your leg....sorry. I don't have a clue how to handle this. Tell him those feeling are normal but other people may not be comfortable seeing it. Tell him he can only do it in his bedroom.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:12 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• When my boys did such things....the one son would take his finger and just give it a good flick lol over and over again. I told him..just be careful don't do that too hard...and if you want to do that its ok...but you shouldn't do it front of other people.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 10:12 PM on Jul. 8, 2010