At what age do children start bathing alone?

My son is 5 and I don't necessarily feel he is ready to bath himself alone. But he does do most of the bathing himself. He washes his hair and washes his body. I mainly supervise, and check to be sure he is completely clean.
I have a 2.5 yr old and a baby on the way in Dec. I normally bath my son and daughter together. But they are getting too big, they take up the whole tub and fight over tub space.
I am just curious at what age kids can start doing most of this by themselves. Such as I have little to no actual involvement in the process..but am still in the room? at what age do they bath alone completely? This is a new stage for me and I just not sure. He is pretty mature kid and minds well and is very cautious. When did you all make this transition?

tiredmomfor2

Asked by tiredmomfor2 at 10:14 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son is bathing on his own and he is 5. My dh runs his water, but he does everything else. If you teach them how, they can do it.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 10:17 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• He can take a bath alone and you sit on toilet with lid down..lol I did that with my kids at 3 years old. I just stayed in the bath room. When they were about 8 I stayed close by and just kept looking in on them..
    seabrezze_11

Answer by seabrezze_11 at 10:18 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• my boys ages 5 and 9 shower, I don't like baths it is like swimming in your own dirt!.. although my little one age 2 takes them but I rinse her with the shower head after. My son started at 4 taking showers and as of winter our bathroom is getting remodeled so we will no longer have a tub, just showers.
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 10:21 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Mine are 7&10 and I just turn the water on to the right temperature, and they do the rest themselves - Yeah!
    (they started in the spring of this year.)
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 10:22 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• We do showers more often. Just because i will put my dd in with me and then have my son jump in after I get out. That way i can be dressing while he is showering. I think i would prefer he take showers. Just because it seems safer.
    tiredmomfor2

Comment by tiredmomfor2 (original poster) at 10:27 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My washes hisself I make sure he's clean.I try but he does it say mama "I can wash me self" so cute.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 10:29 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My older 2 were 4 and 5 when they started taking baths alone while I was in the kitchen across the hall doing dishes or whatever.

They are 10, 8, 7 and 4 now and take showers (our tub is broken).  The oler 3 are on their own.  They turn on their own water and do it all themselves and have for a couple of years now.  The 4yo gets a quick wash down with the hand shower or jumps in with one of her sisters (or sometimes with Daddy).  If the bathtub wasn't broken I would trust her to bathe alone.  She likes to take a shower with her sister...they make a huge mess, though.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:58 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Since they were 3 I have left them in the bathroom alone bathing until they yell out that they were ready to wash. Then I would get the soap out that I had hid on them and let them wash themselves and I would make sure they rinsed. They are now 6 and 7 and completely bathe and or shower themselves. My 7 yo will come in the house and shower all by herself while I am outside with her sister. My girls usually only shower as it is quicker, wastes less water, and seems to make less mess.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 1:13 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Mine started bathing themselves/washing their own hair with me in the room when they were 5. By 6, they no longer needed me in the room, I just set the water temp for the shower or bath. But I figured out a way to put stickers on the knob so all they had to do was line up the stickers and they were able to do it themselves!

Answer by missanc at 3:16 AM on Jul. 9, 2010