Train Table

I'm thinking of buying my son a train table for his 2nd birthday.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• target has one for 80.00.
    LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 10:18 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I bought a cheapie square one from walmart and it's not big enough to make any cool tracks so don't bother with those little square ones. Go for the larger rectangle ones...I know they are a lot more money, but will be better. Don't go all out and get the expensive Thomas one though b/c you can buy Thomas decals and decorate a plain one!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 10:19 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I like the Imaginarium train table at Toys R Us.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 10:21 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My nephew has a Thomas one...and he's seemed to love it and it's held up really well. He also has a walmart one...both have held up! It'll be a good gift to get your son!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 10:22 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• You can't beat the one from Target - I love it!

Answer by missanc at 10:58 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Look for one that can be versatile. My brother actually made DS a train table 6 years ago. It's got big chunky thick legs and a study top. He made it about 2 1/2 feet tall and a bit wider/longer than some of the tables on the market. Both kids used it as a train table. When my daughter out grew the Thomas trains, we converted the table to Littest Pet Shops home-base. LOL! It's simply stained wood so we're not tied to a theme. My DS has used it to build his legos on too and we've cleaned it off to use for a game table/puzzles, etc.

I'm not saying you should make a table - just don't be tied into "train" table as much as something that you can make real use of as a train table today and then a toy/game table tomorrow.

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:24 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• We made our son his train table. It cost us $50 for the wood/screws. We also bought some acrylic paint for a few more dollars. We just bought some green paint and painted the table top green. The rest of it we left unfinished, but you can buy paint and paint all of it. Either way it still will be cheaper then anything else you could buy. All you need is one sheet of 1/2 inch plywood, some scrap lumber, and screws. We were able to get the home improvement store to do most of the cutting of the plywood for us. (We also bought cabinet grade plywood so it made it nicer). The plans we used came from Squirrel Tracks. Oh and we are not very crafty people, this was the first time we made anything...it was relatively easy!! It was just the more affordable option for us seeing even $80 was a bit much for us!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 11:35 PM on Jul. 8, 2010