He's ravenous right before bed!

So my 3-yr-old has a new habit of eating 2-3 entire meals' worth of food at bedtime. At 1st I thought it was b/c he wasn't eating his dinner, or that it was maybe just a ruse to stay up longer, but even after eating a full meal at dinnertime, the child is hungry enough to eat 2 more plates right at bedtime!

I am limiting him to only non-treat, non-snack foods at bedtime, basically it's just leftovers from dinner, but he eats it up, so I think it really is hunger.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen (is it a growth spurt coming on?), and any general advice/tips/info. Thanks!

FelipesMom

Asked by FelipesMom at 10:22 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My children do this. BUt they are really hungry.l Which I think your son is. Probably better for him to be eating before bed than for him to be waking you up at 2 am crying out from hunger. My dd does this. She is 2.5. She will wake up in the middle of the night starving. My kids have been bottomless pits this week. Eating four meals and snacks! Last night my son(5) and dd 2.5 took out an entire bag of popcorn by themselves. They do this every once in awhile. They are growing. If he is eating what you give him then he is probably hungry. If he is being picky and asking for junk or treats then he is probably not hunger. Good luck with your growing boy!
    tiredmomfor2

Answer by tiredmomfor2 at 10:35 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Could it be his way of staying up longer? My oldest son used to get soooooo thirsty right before bed.He loved that pink nestle quik stuff that you put in milk....he would have that and he could stay up just until he was finished...I never saw a little boy drink his milk so slow in my life. (:
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 10:24 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• He could just be getting ready to gain 5 pounds and 2 inches. My son goes through those phases.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 10:24 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Wow! The only thing I would wonder, is how long after dinner does he go to bed? Maybe it gives him enough time to get hungry again?...but times three! lol
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 10:24 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• It doesn't seem ot be a ruse to stay up longer, b/c he really does eat and eat and eat! Thanks for the idea though.

It does indeed seem that he has time to get hungry again after dinner, but it's definitely a change in him b/c our dinner time and bed time are the same! Thanks though.

I just don't know if it matters... I mean, does it hurt to let him chow down at bedtime? I don't want to deny him healthy food if he is truly hungry.
    FelipesMom

Comment by FelipesMom (original poster) at 10:29 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• You may want to be sure that he has some digestion time before he lays down for the night.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 10:31 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Obviously you would want to check with your doctor, since we don't know the specifics of his weight, height, growth range, etc. I would discontinue all sweets, snacks, soft drinks, etc. during the day. Maybe write down everything he eats and his activity level for a couple of weeks and check with your doctor. Also, dehydration can cause you to feel hungry - maybe he isn't getting enough water earlier in the day or is drinking caffeinated drinks. I would limit food and drink after dinner and have the dinner at a regular time as much as possible.
    joysings

Answer by joysings at 10:39 PM on Jul. 8, 2010