Having trouble adjusting to age 5! My oldest is growing up!

My son turned 5 in May. And for some reason if it just hitting me now that he is no longer a "preschooler". We homeschool and are going with the K-12 program for this fall which will be his kinder year.
I guess it didnt occur to me until now that it is officially official. he is growing up! Starting school. Even though he is going ot be here at home it still feels like huge step! i can't imagine sending them off to school at this age. JUst starting school at home is hard enough on me.
I am not taking this well. He is so big! It went so fast!
Just wondering if any other moms have gotten the shock of their kids growing up lately?

tiredmomfor2

Asked by tiredmomfor2 at 10:24 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I had some of the same feeling when my son turned 5 last year, but we homeschool too and I see my friends with public school kids having a more difficult time because they actually leave home.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 10:26 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• When my twins turned three, I cried for days! (They are 4 now) I don't know what it was about three, I guess because they weren't "toddlers" anymore, but "preschoolers" It was really hard for me. I did get emotional when they turned 4 too, but it was harder at 3.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 10:29 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My cousins daughter is 4 and she is starting preshool this fall. i couldnt imagine. My kids were in daycare when I had to work for a while and that killed me. I cant imagine dropping my kid off and not seeing them for hours at a time.
    tiredmomfor2

Comment by tiredmomfor2 (original poster) at 10:29 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I know how you feel, my oldest will be 6 in October and will be going into first grade when school starts...my second child turned 4 last January and will be starting pre-school.
    momof2inCT2007

Answer by momof2inCT2007 at 10:31 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• when my kids hit 5 I was SO HAPPY!- I guess because I finally had some sort of babysitter ;)
    I could FINALLY have a little time alone. When I dropped my first off for her first day of school- I knew she'd be fine, she wanted to go SO bad! all I could think after she went inside was...don't call me, I'll call you ;)

but yes the time goes fast- she is 16 now and I can't believe it!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:32 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I totally understand you! My oldest turned 5 this year and I'm having a terrible time with it. I'm a public school teacher and he will be going to school, but a different one than where I teach, and I'm a nervous wreck!!! I actually posted a question about this a week or so ago and most people told me they were just happy and proud of their 5 year old, not sad and scared like me! I felt like I was just too emotional or something. It is so sad that they are so grown up now! Went WAY too fast IMO!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 10:37 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My baby turns 13 in a couple of weeks. I frankly have never felt this way. Now ask me again when he is approaching HS graduation or marriage. My "oldest" twin is getting married in 3 weeks and while I'm stressed because they don't seem to be "in gear" for planning - I'm excited that he's starting a new chapter in his life.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:45 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Honestly? I always get hit by the "wow, it's gone so fast; they're getting so big" shock around birthdays but not in a way that makes me feel sad about it. Each new age brings new milestones and adventures. As sweet and adorable as my son was as a toddler, he's so much fun to be with now at 8. He's a really bright, academic focused kid who also enjoys just being totally goofy. I love taking walks with him and having real conversations. I couldn't do that with my 2 year old. We could walk but there is only so long I can discuss the merits of the Red Wiggle vs the Yellow Wiggle. ;) Now we talk about astronomy or his social life as it were, or his wishes for the new school year. DD will be 6 soon. She'll be in school full-day for 1st grade. (Our K is half-day) It's weird to think we'll never have a kindergartener in the house again BUT, it's amazing to see the young person she's become. Focus on what you have, not what you had.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:48 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I have only ever been thrilled by the fact they are getting big. My daughter went on the zipper at the fair for the first time last week and that kind of shocked me. She is 7. Every stage is less time til she is out of my house (j/k). That first day of K was heaven for me and I never felt anxious about it. Of course, my kids were never at home with me. They were always in daycare.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 1:16 AM on Jul. 9, 2010