Bladder Issue After C-Section- long, but please read!

So, I am having an ultrasound tomorrow morning to look at my bladder. I had a csection 10 months ago, and have had urinary and stress incontinence issues ever since. I have been doing kegels A LOT every day since I had my son, and its not helping. Well. at my dr appointment on Tuesday, the dr asked me if I felt like my bladder was "falling out", and I told him no because I havent had the feeling. I started my period yesterday, and earlier when I went pee, it felt like my bladder was falling out. And I have had a throbbing shooting pain just below my c-section scar. Its been going on off and on, and since I am having the ultrasound tomorrow, I am going to just see what they say. Its not a UTI, there is no burning, or inability to pee, and there is NO possible way I could be pregnant, seeing as how I havent had sex since December. Has anyone had similar issues post c-section/childbirth? What was the outcome?

ArmyWifeAshlie

Asked by ArmyWifeAshlie at 10:27 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Health

• I've had 3 c-sections. The first 2 were 20 months apart and the first and third were 40 months apart. I've never had anything like you're describing. The bladder dropping, the falling out sensation, can happen to women after a vaginal birth. That is more about how your body responds to being pregnant than a side effect of the surgery. After my 3rd c-section I did have to urinate a lot and with a lot of urgency. It wasn't a UTI, and it felt different than that. It was just like my bladder didn't work quite as well as it used to. That lasted for 4 months post partum, but then corrected itself.

The shooting pains sounds like adhesions, scarring from the surgery that causes organs to fuse together. It sounds like your bladder is fusing to your uterus. You may require another surgery.

I'm sorry you're going through this but am very glad you have a dr appointment tomorrow.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:34 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I had a Sling put in after childbirth.
    My muscles that was supposed to hold the bladder in place had stretched because my oldest got stuck in the birthcanal, which resulted in incontinence....and it only got worse after the second, so a couple of yrs. after that, I had a sling put in, to lift my bladder in place.
    Best thing I ever done, no more incontinence!!!!!!!!
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 10:34 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I'm so sorry you are having problems. When you have a C-section they usually pull your whole uterus out and move your organs around. They are not gentle. Then they shove everything back in. The doctor was probably asking to see if your uterus is prolapsed (falling out). It would be strange that it wasn't and then it just happens to fall out right after you were asked. My guess would be it was feelings from your period.

Try not to worry too much right now. I have had urinary problems for 35 years. They will be able to tell you more after the ultrasound and they may want to do more imaging. Many things they can fix. Some they can't. Some probllems return if you have another baby. It would be wise to wait 3-4 years before ttc. You may only be able to have one more C-section.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:37 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My aunts sister needed a sling put in because her bladder felt like it was falling out. But this was years and years after having kids. I hope they can give you some answers tomorrow. Good luck!
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:39 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I am hoping that its just because of my period, but I'm 21, and I've never ever had this feeling. I'm super scared because my husband is deployed, and I'm all alone, and I just want to be HEALTHY again. I've had issues with my tummy since my c-section, like to the point where I would eat and 10 minutes later I would have to "GO", and thats subsided, and now the bladder is getting worse. I'm glad I finally have a dr willing to listen to me at least. I'm just scared mainly, and wanted to know other peoples experiences with it. I never pushed with my son, but had contractions that were 2-5 minutes apart for 4 days. So maybe that has something to do with it, if its prolapsed, or because I gained 30 lbs on top of being very short and petite? IDK! I just want it solved!
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Comment by ArmyWifeAshlie (original poster) at 10:47 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I'm sorry for what you're going through. I've had two c-sections and had no complications afterwards.
    momof2inCT2007

Answer by momof2inCT2007 at 10:50 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I had bladder issues after my 1st c-section but they didn't become evident until I was pregnant with my 2nd (the next year).  Ended up my bladder was adhered to my uterus after the surgery.  As my uterus got bigger (and it got HUGE with my 9+lb son) it pulled on my bladder.  If it got even remotely full I would have stabbing, shooting pains all over the place.  It sucked.  Luckily they were able to fix it during the next c-section and I haven't had any problems since (although I feared it would happen again or something similar).

Hopefully they can figure out what is wrong and it will be an easy fix.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:57 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• @justanotherjen- I have had pain but it feels like pressure right under my scar, where my bladder would be. Who knows! We shall find out soon I guess! Thanks for the help ladies! :-)
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Comment by ArmyWifeAshlie (original poster) at 11:18 PM on Jul. 8, 2010