So I had a retained placenta during delivery...

Has this ever happened to anyone? And did it defect your chances of getting pregnant again? Hubby and I want to try for a son in a year or so and my doctor told me that because he had to go in and have my placenta removed, it could possibly effect my ability to have more children.

I'm just wondering if this has ever happened to anyone and were you able to have more children?

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 10:39 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Health

• The World Health Org recommends waiting 3 years before ttc after a normal vaginal birth. It would be very important for you to wait 3-4 years before ttc. You should do research on it.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:43 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Thanks but that's not what I asked. I asked if the retained placenta will effect my chances of having more children. :)
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 10:44 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• It hasn't happened to me but it happened to my best friend and she has two kids. It happened with both children.
    SweetOrangeMama

Answer by SweetOrangeMama at 10:45 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Doc had to go in and get out my placenta with both my deliveries...obviously the first round didn't hinder me from having a second baby...I couldn't tell you yet if I would have trouble getting pregnant with a 3rd - I'll just have to wait and see if/when that time comes.

I'm sorry you had to go through that though - it's painful getting them removed like that.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:46 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Thanks mogen. I was pretty much out of it the entire time they did the procedure and I recovered quickly from it after. I actually went home the next day. lol It still sucked though.
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 10:51 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• If you wait 3-4 years to ttc you will be less likely to have complications. Try sooner than that you risk miscarriage, stillbirth, and your life. It takes at least that long to recover. Even after 3-4 years you may have problems. If your doctor doesn't know now you won't know until then. Sometimes you don't know until you try.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:56 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Gail I know this. I've had a miscarriage and a eptopic pregnancy.
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 10:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• What is with this "World Health Organization" telling us to wait three years? LOL. My Mom didn't.my MIL didn't. I didn't...we all had babies about 12 to 18 months apart and the pregnancies and deliveries were a breeze for all of us. Our babies were healthy and happy and grew up to be intelligent ,well adjusted adults.Thfee years? WHat do they know? That's a lot of BS.

BUT ANYWAY.....I haven't had a retained placenta and I wish you luck in correcting this and having a son!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• And most of that is text book information, but there are moms out there who have had kids with in two years or even a year of eachother and they ended up fine. That's why I want to wait atleast a year before we try for a son, but I don't wanna wait too long when i'm old and my eggs are all dried up and shit either. lol
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 11:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I haven't had it happen to me personally, but I'm an equine theriologist (horse fertility specialist) and retained placentas are fairly common in horses. The repro system of humans and horses are fairly similiar to reproductive advancements (like artificial insemination and invitro) are usually develop in horses before they are used for humans. I see retained placentas happen to some degree in approximately 10-15% of the births and have quite extensive experience dealing with it. Do you know how long your placenta was retained before it was extracted? Did you develop a fever, require antibiotics, or a blood transfusion? If you answered "no" to all three of those then there is a good chance that an infection didn't get out of hand, the scar tissue is minimal, and your fertility is probably ok.
    Linds2Horse

Answer by Linds2Horse at 11:02 PM on Jul. 8, 2010