How do you work at home with your kids

I thought what a great idea to work at home.. I can stay at home with my daughter and help contribute to the income, but I can hardly get to the computer without her wanting to be picked up and you sure cant get anything done with them in your lap trying to get the computer , but you cant think with the screaming either so how do you actualy get anything done!? The thought of leaving her for even a short time tears my heart apar but how are you suposed to make any money at home through all the caoss

candlefire22

Asked by candlefire22 at 10:46 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• Working at home can definitely be a challenge. I'm lucky as my husband works 2 doubles and then has 4 days off. When he worked singles for awhile, I worked while my son took his nap and at night when my husband was home. I only work 15-20 hours though, so it's not too bad.
    KJohnson4762

Answer by KJohnson4762 at 10:52 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Aww, sweetie! I had the same problem when my little one was born. If she's old enough to notice you're not giving her your full attention but not old enough to not care, try giving her a play keyboard to let her "type" on while you work. Or if you have moved past the "sleep when she sleeps" phase, then you could do it while she naps as well. I got my son a play keyboard and mouse and that has been a HUGE help for me. He sits next to the desk and just taps the keyboard and moves the mouse around like he's working on a computer. It's really cute and its very useful. Good luck!
    jessflynn

Answer by jessflynn at 10:52 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I totally understand what you're talking about. My son will be 3 at the end of the month, and I have a 16 month old daughter. They tend to get louder when I get on the phone. LOL! Sometimes they want to sit on my lap, and that's okay. I work with a team of Moms, so we all understand what it's like to have our little ones around. Afterall, to me that is the purpose of working from home, to have our kids around!
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 4:01 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I know what you are saying. Its definitely hard to adjust to. I usually get my work done while my little one is napping, or when she is playing on her own. My son is pretty good about playing quietly while I'm on the phone, It gets easier in time. Some days it can be impossible tho. lol
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 7:35 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Man I hear this! I have 2 little ones at home that are really old enough for self play but....hmm that doesn't always work ideally...
    I also presently am helping 2 different friends with their kids. talk about tough 5 girls under 5 yeah it gets loud.

Luckily for my Business it really doesn't really matter at all when I work, for how long, what time of day or night or anything..Im really not on the phone often..and I get as much done during down times (bed, out door play etc)

I also have one on the way to make it even more challenging...but the alternative is no income..and not being able to continue to stay home...so, they grow fast as te months go one and it gets easier...and routines get steady..

I think the play space (key board and stuff..is a great idea!!) old house phones, or cell phone stuff just like mommy
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 10:41 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• luckily my kids are older, 6 and 10 and they are for themselves all day.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 5:19 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Hi; I work from home and my business and website was free; so I do my business 100% from home but you can work your business how you wish and do other things such as book fairs, parties, fund-raisers,etc. if you choose.

Barefoot Books - FREE right now to join. No start up costs. Not sure how long the promotion will last

http://davia-newman.barefootbooks.com/
    XOXOArmyWife

Answer by XOXOArmyWife at 7:42 AM on Aug. 11, 2011