If you work, do you ever get mad at your kids for being sick and making you stay home with them?

My mom used to get mad at me whenever I got sick. I remember one time I had really bad cramping and the school had to call her to come get me, and she got mad at me for making her come get me. She made me wait til school was out and the nurses office was closed. So I spent the entire day sitting in the administration office for my mom to come get me. She was very inconsiderate at times.

I don't get mad at my dd when she gets sick. I just do whatever I can to help her feel better or prevent her from getting sick so much.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes my mother was the same but I thank God for a lot of my mother's mistakes because I believe it has made me realise how and how not to act with my children.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 10:57 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• no my mom always just tried to make me feel better. and we always just kind of enjoyed the time together. i think she enjoyed the time she got off unexpectedly. i'm the same way.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• my mom did that too, even when i was old enough to stay home by myself she'd yell at me before going to work just because she's an awful human being and was never meant to have kids because she didn't know how to love anyone but herself
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 11:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• It's rare we get sick here, which is a huge blessing, but we definately try to help the sick one and be quiet, make them cozy and all.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:01 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My mom worked part time so if she was working my grandma came and got me. When I was working I loved it when my kids were sick so I could stay home for the day with them. I hated that they were sick but glad that we got the day together.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 11:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Of course not.
    sandra1023

Answer by sandra1023 at 11:05 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Wow. No my mom never did that to me. Although, she wasn't very sympathetic when we were sick...but she would come get us from school or make arrangements for one of my grandmas if she couldn't. Its like a child can control when or what they get sick with. Its not like you can be like oh I feel like annoying my mom today so I'm gonna catch the flu!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:08 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I don't outwardly get mad, but inside I do get frustrated. I know they can't help it, and I do everything I can to help them feel better. However, sometimes the timing is just so bad. Actually, the kids seem to get sick on my days off when I plan on cleaning and working on some major organizing projects. That's the only reason I get frustrated. It's like I'm just destined not get anything done. But I have years and years to do all that stuff uninterrupted, the kids are only little for a short time. They need to feel loved and cared for when they are sick.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:08 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• No. My son has been sick 2x in four years of his life. Those 2 times, my husband stayed home with him. My Dh can work from home if he wants and I teach...hard to get a sub at last minute!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 12:47 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I have been fortunate to have jobs that allowed my great flexibility. When my daughter had the chicken pox, I was able to work from home, without missing a phone call, meeting, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:19 AM on Jul. 9, 2010