Fellow Homeschoolers

I am so nervous about beginning hs this fall with my son.

Do you sit down one day or a week in the summer and plan out the year and how do you organize and keep track of what books you need that day (what if it's not checked in at the library?)

My church is having a free deal to give the kids haircuts and stuff, so i think my son may get a new outfit there (how neat), and I have gotten him a pencil case, and picked up a few arts & crafts things along the summer.

Help!

txdaniella

Asked by txdaniella at 11:04 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in

• There are many different educational philosophies for home schooling. That is a good place to start. If your child is under 7 you may not need to worry about schooling at all. Most states don't require schooling until 7. You need to find out the laws in your state and what's available. I home schooled my kids in IN, they are now adults and we live in AZ. In AZ kids can "home school" using a free state online program.

The philosophy I used is called unschooling. I didn't use a curriculum or lesson plans. Children learn what they want at their own pace. There is a web site with home schooling info and discussion boards with home schooling moms. It's http://www.mothering.com/

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:17 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• The curriculum I use is very easy to follow and very well organized, so there is not much planning involved. I usually sit down every week and see what library books or supplies I will be needing for the next week. I also make a tentative schedule at the beginning of the school year to help keep us on track.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 11:08 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I determine what my core curriculum books are ahead of time and have them mostly bought already. The only material I need to buy for Fall 2010-2011 school year is our math books. I'll buy them most likely the end of this month. Some of our material like science and history I get from my local library. Fridays our our library days so I go in then to do my best to get everything I need to cover me for the next week. That also means I've plan out the subjects and have browsed our library online catalog for materials. I have a very good relationship with my children's librarian. Sometimes I may not know the books I want, but all I have to do is tell my librarian we are studying this or I want to cover this and she'll start pulling books for me, books that I didn't even think of or books that sometimes don't even show up in the catalog search. If there's a book I want and the library doesn't have it, I'll talk to the librarian.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 11:20 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• the librarian is good at helping me find alternative material.
    SAHMinIL2

• Thanks yall. Well I want to go with Five in a Row, but the book itself and all the books to go with it add up pretty quickly, so I would definately have to rely heavily on the library. We go often and all, but I guess I would have to play it a bit by ear if a certain book was not available.
    We've thought about Story of the World along with this. Here in WV we have to begin school by age 6 I believe and my son turns 6 this August. My dd is 4 but will go along with us if she wants.

How about scheduling during the day? Do yall have a set schedule (brush teeth 1st, then this then the next thing to make it a habit?)
    txdaniella

Comment by txdaniella (original poster) at 1:08 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• The CafeMom Happy Homeschoolers group is a fantastic source of information and support: http://www.cafemom.com/group/699

Answer by rkoloms at 7:05 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• "How about scheduling during the day? Do yall have a set schedule (brush teeth 1st, then this then the next thing to make it a habit?) "

We have a loose daily schedule that helps to keep us on track.

JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 9:06 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• We have a curriculum to follow but I do sit down before each week starts and plan out the week. Life throws all kinds of curves at us and we need to be flexible.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 4:26 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• We homeschool year round, with a break during the month of June. During that month, I sit down and decide on a basic year planner for the upcoming year - specific theme topics or unit studies for certain months along with a list of field trips we would like to take divided by month (check for homeschool days at local zoos & aquariums, museums, etc). For example, I knew this year we would be covering World Studies for one daughter and World History for the other (one middle school, one high school) so I decided on a few ancient cultures to do unit studies on. Also, I know we are doing a leaf collection this year for both girls, so I put that in for early October (collect one while green, go back later to see how it changes for fall). During our school year I only do lesson plans one week at a time. I learned through classroom teaching that going too far ahead will only lead to lots of erasing later. (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:06 AM on Jul. 13, 2010