How can I get my 10 month old to sleep through the night?

She sleeps at 9pm. Wakes up @ 12:30, change diaper, feeds and back to crib. Again at 3:30.

Then she's up at 6:30 for the day. I have no issues putting her to sleep, its just she wakes up and sometimes she doesn't even have a dirty diaper.

EJsMama2725

Asked by EJsMama2725 at 11:15 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'd start if I were you by cutting out the 3:30am, what I personally did was kept making the moment I got up to tend to them just a little bit later everynight, it's a slow process but eventually the 3:30 merges with 6:30 and you've got a baby who sleeps straight through for a number of hours. Good luck with everything, I hope it all works out.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 11:19 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• It's normal for children to wake at night until they are 3 or older. She shouldn't be waking for a diaper change. It's normal for babies to breastfeed at night to keep their blood sugar up for brain growth. For all of human history babies have slept with their mothers and nursed whenever they felt like it. Babies would breastfeed until they were 3-5 or maybe older.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:21 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• i did the CIO method. Let her cry for about 5 minutes before you go in there, when you do, if she's not dirty, lay her down tell her it's bedtime, goodnight, give her kisses. 10 minutes later, if she's still awake, then go in there, give her kisses, lay her down without a word. do this every 10 minutes or so. the next night wait about 12 minutes. it may take about a week, but she'll eventually be sleeping through the night, just be consistant with it. this is how i got both my kids to sleep through the night at 6 months. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:25 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• But she's bottle fed.
    EJsMama2725

Comment by EJsMama2725 (original poster) at 11:25 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• This isn't what you want to hear, but time is the answer. Your baby will sleep through the night when she is ready

Answer by rkoloms at 7:10 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Five hours is considered a sleep through. The VAST majority of babies wake every 3-4 hours on average for needed feeds and/or peeing. They wake more during growth spurts, teething, and new milestones. In the first year, sleep patterns change a lot and a baby may sleep a long stretch one week during a growth spurt and the next wake frequently. All normal. Sleep patterns don't really settle into a more mature pattern until age three or four. Some babies sleep a lot in the first half of the year, but end up waking more later. There is nothing "bad" about a baby that doesn't sleep long stretches of more than four to six hours...they aren't bad sleepers as some say. They are quite normal.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:54 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• My DD does the same thing. You just have to see if she's hungry or dirty. If that isn't it, just hold her for a minute to calm her down, then lay her back down. She might want you just to hold her, or she could be hurting. It will take care of itself eventually.
    ColieByrd

Answer by ColieByrd at 9:18 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• That sounds pretty normal to me! I say hang in there!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:19 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• All three of my kids were bottle fed and they started sleeping at least 6 or 7 hours at a stretch at night, in their cribs. They didn't have any waking during the night problems either....I think the difference is the feeding method But, it just takes time and patience . They eventually sleep through the night.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 9:47 AM on Jul. 10, 2010