What do you think of an at home unassisted birth??

I'm definitely not thinking about doing this, nothing against it personally just not for me... I would just like to hear everyone's opinions on it.

young-not-dumb

Asked by young-not-dumb at 11:21 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I think every woman has the right to birth how she chooses. I am getting ready for my second homebirth, but we contract a CNM, CPM, and doula.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 11:22 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Completely "unassisted"?...no. I would at least want a trained midwife there, in case something went wrong.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 11:23 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I think it's incredibly dangerous, and it's not something I would ever do.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:23 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• i would have a homebirth but i would like a cnm to be there. just in case something were to go wrong.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:23 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Personally, I never understood why anyone wouldn't some kind of licensed medical professional at least present at the birth of their child, just to make sure everything was alright. I do find it weird and irresponsible. So many things can go wrong and you'd be in a bad situation for what? I think there's nothing wrong with home births, as long as there is a midwife or someone there who knows what they're doing and knows what's normal and not normal, etc. JMO
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:25 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I agree with the above posts. I would consider a home birth but definitely not completely unassisted for I feel that that would be dangerous to the child and myself. Surely we want our babies to be as safe as possible?
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 11:25 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I think you can have an unassisted birth experience with a midwife at your home in case you need her.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:26 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Probably the cheapest option :p
    I think homebirth is great. I think an unassisted birth should be well planned and thought. It's not for everyone cause not many people are "self midwifery" experts. Lol. I wouldn't do it just I don't do well in stressful situations at all. Birth is beautiful, but I would prefer having someone walk me through it and take care of things should I get too comfy to care or overwhelmed. I applaud women who have such confidence in themselves to do it. It's not at all impossible (all you really need for a birth is a woman lol) but it's no surprise that many would be afraid of doing it alone nowadays since birth is portrayed as a scary medical procedure.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 11:28 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I think an unassisted birth is incredibly risky and somewhat irresponsible. At home births are great, but you should at least have a midwife there in case something goes wrong. How would you feel if something did go wrong and the baby got hurt or worse in the process. Its just too risky to go unassisted. I've been to three at-home births but all three had midwives.
    jessflynn

Answer by jessflynn at 11:42 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• i think women who try it are completely ignorant and stupid. it's like, hey, i'm gonna risk my own life and my baby's life just so i don't ahve to go to the hospital. it's so ridiculously dangerous it should be outlawed and considered child abuse or neglect
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 11:43 PM on Jul. 8, 2010