Why are poor people so much more generous than rich people?

Seriously?!?

jessflynn

Asked by jessflynn at 11:25 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• generally it's because the poor understand the feeling of being in need.
    also, generally the poor have been helped out in some way, food pantry and such, so they want to return the favor so to speak.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:39 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• For this poor person, it is because there is always someone else worse off than me and I would hope that by helping others that good karma would come to me when I need help. It wouldn't matter if I was rich, I would still help others. Maybe it is more about the persons morals and values then about them being rich or poor.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:27 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• because we know wht its like to have nothing, and when we see someone with even less then we have. we know its the right thing to do, and how much wed appreciate it if someone with more then us helped us! i guess it just depends on who has heart
    Rachelxbby

Answer by Rachelxbby at 11:28 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I can't say that I agree with you and I wouldn't want to put people in groups like that either.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 11:26 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• because they know what it's like to be in need. even if someone has "been there" they may not remember it quite so well.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:27 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I don't necessarily agree with that statement.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:29 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• This is a generalization, but it does have some merit. I grew up not wanting for anything, and my parents were extremely generous. They gave and gave to others, without worrying about what they would save for themselves. By the time I was a teen, I was pretty materialistic, wanted to keep everything for myself, and questioned why my parents were so giving to people when I thought the people they gave to should be getting what they needed themselves. It took getting married to a police officer with a very low income to make me understand my parents' generosity. I suddenly wanted to give because I knew how hard it was to be without, but I couldn't. My parents grew up in poverty and knew how it felt. It took living a very different life (not quite poverty) for me to see how I was wrong. Now that my husband makes significantly more money, we love to give to others, especially anonymously.
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 11:33 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I consider myself doing okay and sharing that with someone else rocks in my book I work at a job where I make very little but I still manage to help a couple people out and its okay because in the end it will come back to us.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:35 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I think this is a wild generalisation. However perhaps the rich people wouldn't be rich if they were generous and the poor people would be if they were less generous, think about that ;).
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 11:26 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Wel, how do you think the Rich got so Rich? LOL.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2010