my 13 dd is a very picky eater. she is acting very independent lately.

She won't open her mouth and if I put the spoon on her tray she will throw it. If I walk away sometimes she will taste it, sometimes not. She stopped eating the baby oatmeail(which she loved) and I am really struggling here!! Please advise. She does eat deli turkey independently and crackers, but she doesn't like fruit or veggies :( what other finger foods can I give her as meals? O, and she has 6 front teeth.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I call this the air-o-tarian phase! They all go through it. First, make sure that she is drinking water, so she doesn't get dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually she will start eating.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:12 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• just keep offering foods. dont force them, but dont give in and just give her the one food she likes...know what i mean? Picky eater phases occur a lot. my son is 2 and just got over one. felt like an eternity! He didnt even want macaroni and cheese! But one night he suddenly pigged out and wanted seconds.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:40 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• my advice - don't play into her pickiness! You feed her, if she's hungry she eats it. No fighting over it, no catering to her.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:35 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My 15 month old really like cheerios, the gerber graduate juice treats, blueberries, cereal bars,also the gerber graduate puffs are good finger foods. Have you tried giving her what you eat for dinner(if it isn't too hard or chewy) sitting her in the highchair and letting her eat on own while the rest of the family eats and prasing her when she does eat? We always do this with DS and it works very well.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 11:43 PM on Jul. 8, 2010