Does anyone ever volunteer their time?

Ugh...I'm getting so frustrated. I'm planning a fundraiser and I can't find ANY volunteers. I sent out over 150 emails and letters trying to get volunteers and I got a whopping 3!! Doesn't anyone volunteer anymore?!? Seriously?!?

jessflynn

Asked by jessflynn at 11:52 PM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It is so easy to ignore a letter. It is much more difficult to say no to a person. Start calling people. Instead of asking if they can volunteer, give them options for when they can volunteer. If they say they will call you back, let them know that you will be happy to follow up with them, and ask them when you should do so.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:38 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Wow. Yes, I volunteer and I live in the volunteer state and it seems like everyone I know volunteers regularly. Maybe you should move to TN. lol
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:53 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• yes.. I do. So does a lot of my family... we just did the 4th of july festible all volunteer.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:56 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I live in the UK and it's the same where I live... I volunteer regularly but we are constantly understaffed and overloaded, it's getting ridiculous. Unemployment rates are so high that you'd think people would come in for the experience, it would even benefit them when getting a job but no... Nobody seems to want to...
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 11:57 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I volunteered for several food banks some phone work and they would never take me. So now I do other things to help.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:01 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• I wish I could volunteer with animals. But I have a toddler with me 24/7 and that's a liability issue. There's also not much you can do glued to a toddler anyway. Some people just can't. It's sad though that many can but won't (regarding things that need help, not just parties and such). I hope you get some willing people soon.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:03 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Im sorry to hear that. I wish you the best with your volunteering. I volunteer a couple times a week with the FRG (Family Readiness Group) with my husband's unit. (Army) We have about 120ish people in the unit and about 60 wives and we have 5 volunteers including myself. I wish you the best. It seems with the wives here that alot of them have had bad experiences with cattiness and cliques and are no longer interested in volunteering because of it. I love volunteering too.
    Sillybillymel

Answer by Sillybillymel at 12:40 AM on Jul. 9, 2010