What is your toddler's bed time routine?

My 15 month has gotten to where he fights sleep for hours. We do dinner, then bath time, then a few we read him 2-3 books, then we try to tuck him in. But that never works, he always screams and cries and I try to put him back in bed over and over, but it doesn't work. I have tried laying in bed with him but he just crawls all over the bed and keeps SO up and he has to get up for work at 6am, so he ends up back in the living room with me and will fall asleep on the couch watch nick jr. What can I do to enforce bedtime?

BlainesMommy09

Asked by BlainesMommy09 at 12:04 AM on Jul. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 29 month old will watch one of his favorite shows, go potty, get into bed where we will pray together and I will usually rub his back for a few minutes then tell him goodnight and I love him. I walk out and he might talk for a few minutes, but will usually just go to bed...
    HuskerMommy08

Answer by HuskerMommy08 at 12:07 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• My 17 mos old will have a little milk and snack, then I put him in his crib with his blanket, turn on his fan, close his shade, and close his door. That's it. He's out. Sometimes he cries for a minute, but most nights he lies down and goes to sleep.
    My other kids we would read to. Aidan won't sit still yet.

Does your son have his own bed?
    What time are you trying to put him to sleep? How many naps does he take and how close to bedtime?

ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 12:15 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• thats basically what bedtime is like with my 13 month old. sometimes he will fall asleep while drinking his bottle, but if not .. i take him in bed with me and he rolls all round, climbing, whining, etc. until he falls asleep. but my SO works overnight so its not a problem with waking him up.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:18 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• My son does have his own bed, he has been in his toddler bed since he was 12 months old, I try to put him to bed at 9-9:30, He usually only has one short 20-45 minute nap a day and he takes it at about 1-2pm.
    BlainesMommy09

Comment by BlainesMommy09 (original poster) at 12:37 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• My son is stubborn with bedtime. If I put him to bed at 9pm he will wake up at 11pm and then won't go back to bed for a while. I wish he had a normal routine. But everytime i try normal stuff, it never works. My son doesn't have his own room though.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 12:52 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• Does your child take multiple naps during the day? For us we have to have a routine throughout the whole day , and it seems like if it gets messed with then the night is tough. My son wakes up about 7 am eats breakfast then he watches one of his fav cartoons at 830 am then takes a nap for about an hour then eats lunch around noon plays until about 430 when he has another short nap if a nap at all at this time then its dinner bath book and he usually passes out in my arms then i put him in bed and he's good all night. but if he sleeps to much during the day or not enough then it's all over lol good luck
    cleo2582

Answer by cleo2582 at 2:57 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• we do bath, read a few books, and watch a little tv...WE DO WHAT WORKS FOR US..let me clarify that, since every child is different. kenzie's always fallen asleep with us, and we've put her in her bed from there.. have you noticed a trend in when he falls asleep? if it's the same everynight, then work around that. advice i took on getting kenzie to go to bed at the time she does on her own, didn't work..letting her cry it out, didn't work..it made it harder for her to sleep, and she was waking up screaming and crying at night. sit down and make a routine, and stick to it. it only took me a couple of days to get kenzie on one,..granted we still had to lay down with her for nap time..over time, i've started phasing her nap out, and if she does take a nap its only an hour. in the end it's up to you on what you want to do. but i wish you the best and good luck!
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 10:43 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• At about 8pm, he has a snack and something to drink. Then he goes and has a bath, we brush teeth, read a story on the couch, and then hes in bed by 9 :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:29 PM on Jul. 9, 2010

• maybe try putting a tv in his room? If he falls asleep watching tv in livingroom, maybe it would help in his room? Just a suggestion. Sorry your having such a hard time with bedtime.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 1:32 PM on Jul. 9, 2010